We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I80 or I90 from Chicago

chicago
Level Contributor
255 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
I80 or I90 from Chicago

Hi,still can't decide which route.They are about the same time so that doesn't help.Someone on here suggested I take 80 and some of the spots I would stop at but I don't know.My husband insists we take I 90 and see all the stops we'll make on the way back after seeing Yellowstone.Which route would have more lodging?We are heading out tomorrow.Thank you for time.

Level Contributor
3,517 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I80 or I90 from Chicago

We traveled from Michigan to YNP in 2009. We took I 90 out and I 80 back. In my opinion, I 90 was more scenic than I 80. We stayed a night in Madison to visit some friends of my wife's. From there we stayed at a nice (and very reasonably priced) Super 8 in Chamberlain, SD. We entered YNP through the NE gate so we could take the Chief Joesph Highway. We stayed the night before in another OK Super 8 in Powell, WY (much more affordable than staying in Cody).

Yes, you have plenty of lodging options along I 90. This route allows you to see some of the badlands, the black hills, Deadwood, Sturgis, the Bighorns, and Cody.

Indy
Destination Expert
for Indianapolis
Level Contributor
560 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I80 or I90 from Chicago

Take I-90. I-90 is very senic. We used I-90 for our time in Rapid City, then through Montana to head up to Glacier, then hopped back on for a very short drive to Bozeman so we could get to W. Yellowstone. I remember a strech on I-90 in N. Wyoming, just before you cross into Montana. You are somewhat elevated around the surrounding area. There is literally land and very few homes for as far as the eye can see. This was first trip west of the Mississippi, prior to this I had went on trips, but usually to metro areas (NYC, beach cities/towns, Niagra Falls). I also hadn't been on vacation for years. It was at that point that I finally realized just how big the world was. We were heading towards Billings for the night and had just saw Devil's Tower and stopped off for lunch. It was just such a sight to see land for miles and miles. It was hard to believe that there were even still cities further north (Calgary and Edmonton) where millions of people live.

So I vote for I-90. Another good thing about I-90, I heard that in the past, it carried less truck traffic than I-80. We were only on I-80 for a short while heading east from south central Wyoming to Cheyenne (to then head south to Denver). It wasn't a bad drive, but I also feel that I-90 was more scenic.

chicago
Level Contributor
255 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I80 or I90 from Chicago

Well I should listened I 80 was a long way to long but I'm in Chyenne WY at comfort inn not too bad.My son has the pool to himself.Tomorrow heading up to the Grand Tetons.Also I have never seen such large Mosquitos but I am ready next time bought some 90 % deet.well let you know how my winging it goes

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
7,009 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I80 or I90 from Chicago

Well, now you have the opportunity to drive across the great state of Wyoming.

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,971 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I80 or I90 from Chicago

Probably too late but if you're in Cheyenne then take Happy Jack Road to Laramie. It is a scenic gorgeous drive with some hiking trails and a week ago wildflowers were spectacular. From Laramie take the Snowy Range Scenic Byway. There is so much more to see in WY than Yellowstone and Grand Teton parks. I agree it is a great state with a lot to offer especially to those who are willing to slow down and take less traveled roads.

Level Contributor
3,517 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I80 or I90 from Chicago

You can still take I-90 back home. It will give you some different scenery.

Everett, Washington
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I80 or I90 from Chicago

If not too late here is a list I composed for places to see in Wyoming OUTSIDE the parks. If something happens to be on route it would be worth considering. If route is not set in stone one place I usually suggest when with kids is the often overlooked town of Thermoplis with the hot spring water parks and a great dinosaur center.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i19709-Wyoming_…

BTW... I really favor I-90 over I-80 even when headed to Saratoga (south of I-80). I-80 is very monotinous following the river. At least I-90 is broken up by the Missouri river at Chamberlain and the Badlands & Black Hills. Check I-90 out on the way back to compare.

8. Re: I80 or I90 from Chicago

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 pm, October 04, 2012