We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental Car Charges Going Up, Up, Up!

Williamsport, MD
Level Contributor
21 posts
36 reviews
Rental Car Charges Going Up, Up, Up!

I've been watching rental car charges for months and could kick myself for not reserving earlier when costs were less. We will be picking up in Rapid City and dropping in Jackson Hole. Cost for a midsize SUV is $1600 for two weeks. Any thoughts on rates?

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
34,718 posts
505 reviews
1. Re: Rental Car Charges Going Up, Up, Up!

Have always found Jackson Hole rates to be high for one way rentals. An agent several years ago told me it was because many of the Jackson Hole rental companies were franchise operations and not owned directly by the rental car companies.

Australia
Level Contributor
229 posts
20 reviews
2. Re: Rental Car Charges Going Up, Up, Up!

We just booked a ful size SUV from Denver for 3 weeks and it was $1200 all inclusive of insurance, extra driver and 1 tank of petrol. I booked this from Australia using www.traveljigsaw.com. au which is an Australian arm of CarHire 3000. These rates were the cheapest we could find after doing alot of research. I know the issues with insurance are different when booking from outside of the US as you may have more opportnuties to be covered by your credit card or auto insurance if you are from the U.S but the all inclusive rates were much better with these car brokers. Not sure about rates from Jackson but it may be worth looking at these types of brokers and see what deal you get. They had good reviews overall so I felt O.K to go with them.

Good luck

Searcy, Arkansas
Level Contributor
109 posts
3. Re: Rental Car Charges Going Up, Up, Up!

We booked about a month ago.... just a midsize and the cost from Salt Lake to Jackson Hole for one day was around $130, and then from Jackson Hole to Rapid City was $330 for 6 days (was charged a weekly rate).

The same thing from Salt Lake to Rapid City for the week was $200 more.

I'm just kinda of recalling the rates from memory so might be a little off. This is for an early to mid june rental.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
163 posts
15 reviews
4. Re: Rental Car Charges Going Up, Up, Up!

I've been watching rental rates as well. I had originally booked standard SUV through Avis for a total of $1015, with no extras. Last night, I checked Hertz again. It had been higher, even with my AAA discount. Last night, their standard SUV was down to a total of $620! I jumped on it! I'm renting for 10 days, picking up at Jackson Hole airport and returning to Salt Lake City airport.

right here
Level Contributor
42 posts
11 reviews
5. Re: Rental Car Charges Going Up, Up, Up!

I used carrentals.com, renting a car from Salt Lake City for a week. We're driving up to Yellowstone. We made this reservation on 3/27.

Here's the details:

Pick-Up Location:

SALT LAKE CITY INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT (SLC)

776 N TERMINAL DR

SALT LAKE CITY, UT 84122

Drop-Off Location:

SALT LAKE CITY INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT (SLC)

776 N TERMINAL DR

SALT LAKE CITY, UT 84122

Pick-Up Date/Time: Friday, May 27 11:00 AM

Drop-Off Date/Time: Friday, June 3 3:00 PM

Vehicle Type: Economy

Features: Automatic, Air Conditioning, Unlimited Mileage

1 Week @ $118.53/week

4 Hours @ $3.39/hour = $132.09

Estimated Taxes and Fees: $43.83

TOTAL ESTIMATED CHARGES: $175.92

Edited: 5:14 pm, April 24, 2011
Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
176 posts
10 reviews
6. Re: Rental Car Charges Going Up, Up, Up!

Go to-- Priceline.com --and bid on one... just keep bidding...

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
7,544 posts
265 reviews
7. Re: Rental Car Charges Going Up, Up, Up!

What isn't going up? My sticker shock just getting groceries is enough. Consider the loaf of bread I buy went up 50 cents overnight. If I had teenage boys to feed I don't know what I would do. So why should we be surprised that car rentals are going up?

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
163 posts
7 reviews
8. Re: Rental Car Charges Going Up, Up, Up!

How does Priceline work?

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
7,544 posts
265 reviews
9. Re: Rental Car Charges Going Up, Up, Up!

You go to Priceline.com and follow their instructions to bid on car rentals. A good link for info is http://www.bidontravel.com/cars.html - it gives you some solid tips. Priceline takes your credit card info before you begin bidding. Once Priceline accepts your bid it is non-refundable so you cannot cancel and get a refund. You also cannot make changes. Since they do not allow 1-way rentals this won't work for you since you are wanting to return your car to a different location.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
28 reviews
10. Re: Rental Car Charges Going Up, Up, Up!

Always reserve when you see a good price, no downside to it and you can cancel whenever you want to.

Try a site like Kayak to scope out a lot of prices at once, then go to the individual sites of the cheapest ones. Look for discounts, call the 800 number and ask the operator if there are specials you need to ask for. Thrifty/Dollar will give you 10% off if you book with AMEX.

I use Hotwire also. They show you the price and the company, oftentimes cheaper than Kayak. When you reserve here though, you are committed to the reservation.

With gas prices rising, there may be some cancellations as people stay closer to home this summer.