We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Northeast Entrance to Red Lodge

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
968 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Northeast Entrance to Red Lodge

We could not get reservations in the park so are planning

on traveling onto Red Lodge late afernoon for the night. We will be leaving from the northeast entrance. How far is the drive from here to Red Lodge? We will get up the next morning and drive the Beartooth Hwy on to Cody for the night. Any other suggestions of a route etc are helpful.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
968 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Northeast Entrance to Red Lodge

Or would it be better to go to Cody and stay both nights instead of

trying to travel to Red Lodge late afternoon from Yellowstone. We could

do a day trip to Red Lodge from Cody the next day. Would this make more

sense?

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
27,450 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Northeast Entrance to Red Lodge

Are you spending anytime in the park?

If you need lodging near the park then try West Yellowstone or Gardiner and then if you travel the Beartooth or want to visit Cody then spend a night or two there.

We have used both West Yellowstone and Gardiner as a base for Yellowstone. We prefer West Yellowstone because of lodging and restaurant choices.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Northeast Entrance to Red Lodge

My questions are:

How many days have you alloted to seeing Yellowstone NP?

Where are you coming from and going to after YNP?

What happened to your OFI reservations, noted in another post? Are these sort of the same plans?

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60442-i1140-k3959…

Edited: 10:38 pm, February 01, 2011
Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
968 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Northeast Entrance to Red Lodge

Sorry guys, I didn't make myself clear at all in my OP. I am spending

two nights in the park at Old Faithful. What I meant to say was that

I couldn't get a third nights reservation at the Cannon area like I wanted.

They are booked up. After spending the entire third day in the park and

then heading out is where my question comes in. It will be late afernoon

so should I go through Lamar Valley (which I do want to visit) and then onto Red Lodge for the night and then do Beartooth Hwy and onto Cody the next day? I do plan to spend a night in Cody but should I just go onto Cody from

the Northeast Entrance after being in the park all day? That would put us in Cody for two nights instead of one. I see that it is about 85 miles from the NE entrance. We would do a day trip to the Beartooth Hwy and Red Lodge from Cody the next day instead. What makes the most sense?

Bay Village, Ohio
Level Contributor
886 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Northeast Entrance to Red Lodge

Why not spend the night in Cooke City right outside the northeast entrance? That way you can spend most of the day in the park on the day you leave. Then you can get up the next morning and drive the Beartooth, visiting Red Lodge on your way to Cody. I am not sure what time of year you are traveling, but you would want daylight for the drive in order to see the beautiful views. It takes us about 1 1/2 hours to drive from Cooke City (where my in-laws live) to Red Lodge. I am not sure how long the drive is from Red Lodge down to Cody, as we have always taken the Sunlight Basin from Cooke City when we go to Cody.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
968 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Northeast Entrance to Red Lodge

These are my plans so this may help with any suggestions.

Flying into and arriving at 8:25 pm to Jackson Hole.

Staying 3 nights at Jackson Lake Lodge in GTNP.

Staying 2 nights and 3 days in Yellowstone National Park.

Spend night in Cody/Red Lodge to do Beartooth Hwy?

Spend night in Cody.

Spend night in Jackson for flight out the night afternoon.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
27,450 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Northeast Entrance to Red Lodge

Good you got reservations in the park. Keep calling for a third night in the park- they have cancellations all the time.

Just my opinion but we like Cody and opted to spend 2 nights there.

Everett, Washington
Level Contributor
2,381 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Northeast Entrance to Red Lodge

Since you want to do the Lamar Valley anyway exiting from NE entrance makes the most sense. If late in the day then one factor arguing for staying at Cooke City would be lighting. It's just better in the early day because most of the scenery on the Beartooth Plateau is west of their. In late day much would be in shadow..

On the other hand doing the Lamar area as a spur then going from Tower Jct. down to Canyon and then out the east entrance to Cody would not take much longer than Beartooth Pass to Red Lodge. Then with two nights in Cody you can make a day trip the next day over Dead Indian Pass and the very scenic Chief Joseph Highway to the junction with US-212 and then do Beartooth Pass to Red Lodge - with an early start perhaps in time for lunch there. Then back down to Cody with enough time in afternoon for museums and things there.

From Cody to Jackson you can either retrace back through the park or see new area by going down to Riverton via Thermopolis and Wind River Canyon and then uo through Dubois over Togwotee Pass. Very scenic drive through arid areas very different from the national parks.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
968 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Northeast Entrance to Red Lodge

Thanks everyone for all the good advice. I ended up getting

a reservation for the 3rd night in the park at Cannon Lodge.

I just kept checking everyday and someone did end up

cancelling. I have had to change this trip around several

times so hopefully this is finally settled. Thanks again.

Commerce, Texas
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Northeast Entrance to Red Lodge

Thanks all guys... your discussions help me out to make my plan~ thanks again~ haha