We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are my estimates for driving time accurate?

Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
812 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Are my estimates for driving time accurate?

Hi,

I'd appreciate it if you could tell me if my estimates for net driving time (without stops) is accurate for middle June.

Pinedale to Yellowstone NP (Canyon Lodge): 3.5 hr

Yellowstone NP (Old Faithful Lodge) to Salt Lake City: 5 hr

Is it likely to encounter floods or snow at that time of the year?

Also will need advice on where should I buy provisions before entering Yellowstone NP (groceries) and where should we fill our tank. Are there gas stations within the park limits?

Thank you!

Wyoming & Sanibel
Level Contributor
1,344 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are my estimates for driving time accurate?

Pinedale to Yellowstone NP (Canyon Lodge): at least 4 hours and possibly longer, as the road in the park to Canyon is prone to animals on the road which slows or stops traffic

Yellowstone NP (Old Faithful Lodge) to Salt Lake City: 6.5 to 7 hours (to Salt Lake Airport (Salt Lake is a sprawling city, so your specific destination will make a big difference in driving time)

Is it likely to encounter floods or snow at that time of the year? Not floods, but rain is always a possibility, but it is a very dry climate. Snow, although not likely, can happen in early to mid-June. That time of year, it is usually brief and melts quickly, but difficult to project.

Provisions? Jackson, Wyoming or West Yellowstone, Montana depending on how you plan to enter the park, but there are also small groceries in the park. Same answer for gas, but there are stations in the park which will be slightly higher priced than outside.

Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
812 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are my estimates for driving time accurate?

Thank you very, very much for your prompt answer.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
25 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are my estimates for driving time accurate?

Canyon Lodge is a great location for picking up provisions and getting gas. I don't remember the price of gas there. The grocery store at the Canyon Lodge area is the best grocery store in YNP - cereal, milk, bread, all the usual, great variety. Depending on when you anticipate arriving at Canyon Lodge, you can obtain your groceries there. But if you want a more thorough grocery shop, or if you want to buy a styrofoam cooer, there is a giant grocery store in Jackson, I can't remember the name but it's near the McDonald's. Depends if you have the cooler set up etc.

Canyon Lodge is an excellent start overnighter at YNP because it has a great visitor's centre. Also, better than that, in the lodge registration building, there is a small guest questions booth or something, and basically the ranger gives excellent tips on seeing/hiking the north and south rim trails/drives..and I found that small booth very helpful for information.

In my opinion, the grocery store at Canyon was more than sufficient, so if you're pressed for time, just wait til you get settled in at Canyon and then do a shop there.

4. Re: Are my estimates for driving time accurate?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 26, 2011