We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Publix Bathrooms in the park

Miami
Level Contributor
444 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Publix Bathrooms in the park

I am a city gal but love to see our State & National parks. I do not see many rest stops – bathrooms on the map & I have no idea what a “pit toilet” is. Am I going to have to pee in the bushes?

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
862 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Publix Bathrooms in the park

Pit toilet is just a toilet inside a small room. No running water to flush, just a toilet over a hole in the ground. They're pretty well kept in the national parks, so they're not too bad. But you'll also have plenty of regular restroom options at each of the lodge areas: Old Faithful, Mammoth, Canyon, Roosevelt, etc... So no worries. :)

Miami
Level Contributor
444 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Publix Bathrooms in the park

Thanks for the info – I was just starting to panic but now I am OK.

Powhatan, Virginia
Level Contributor
421 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Publix Bathrooms in the park

Some of those "pit toilets" are on concrete pads with metal sides and roof. So even though not the most pleasant place, if you encountered a bear/grizzly could provide protection. Many of the "pit toilets" aren't listed on the maps. You'll love Yellowstone. One of my favorite places.

4. Re: Publix Bathrooms in the park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, October 24, 2009