We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

OMG! Hubby just gave the green light..Sept. two weeks!

Level Contributor
180 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
OMG! Hubby just gave the green light..Sept. two weeks!

From looking at alot of the post on this forum it looks like you need at least a year to plan a trip for lodging and now it is first of Dec. for a trip in Sept......do I even have time?

All I know is this will be a trip of a lifetime, not sure if we will get back. We are planning on driving from Albuquerque up to Rapid City,SD to see Mt.Rushmore. Then drive past Devil's tower and on to Cody.

Not sure if at this point we should set up base here or go on into the park to stay? Driving times and park fees in and out. Also worried that it's too late to get lodging inside the park and then the hubby adds...(I don't want to feel like we are camping...I want to eat at a resturant every night) (We do alot of camping,so it's nothing against it) and I'm not sure if he gets the National Park thing...no T.V.'s,no computers.

The scenic drives near Cody sound wonderful and I wouldn't want to miss out. We plan on leaving the park through Jackson so we can also spend a couple of nights seeing Grand Tetons NP. Before heading home.

Now this is where I panic and wait for calmer heads with good advice(like breathe,it will be alright) to show me the way. Any advice at this point would be most welcomed. Thanks in advance.

New England
Destination Expert
for Ogunquit
Level Contributor
2,267 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: OMG! Hubby just gave the green light..Sept. two weeks!

Asparkle,

sorry if I confused you. I was just refering to the inconvenience of commuting into the park daily from Cody..a response to your statement: "Not sure if at this point we should set up base here or go on into the park to stay?"

You new plan sounds great. Enjoy planning and yes, get a copy of "Yellowstone Treasures"

Ennis MT
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Ennis
Level Contributor
2,833 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: OMG! Hubby just gave the green light..Sept. two weeks!

ALBQ - I like your revised itinerary - gives you more time to spend seeing the Park and less time backtracking.

You've gotten a lot of good advice here, so not much I can add - but I will anyway -lol. I would suggest checking back with Xanterra about the Frontier cabin at Lake Lodge. I've stayed in them and they're very "rustic". Lake Lodge is my favorite place to stay - but in one of the Western cabins. They've remodeled some of them, so try to get one of those. It's a lovely area - and I think your hubby would enjoy dinner at the Lake Hotel one night - it's a bit of a splurge, but great atmosphere.

I definitely agree with the suggestion to get a National Park pass - you'll save money on it, since it can be used all over the country. If you're 62 or older, you can get a lifetime pass for $10 - I guess they figure us "old folks" don't get out and about much!

Relax and enjoy the planning as well as the trip. Sept. is a beautiful time of year to visit!

Ennis MT
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,833 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: OMG! Hubby just gave the green light..Sept. two weeks!

Here's another helpful planning link:

www.alandsuejohnson.com

They've done a great job - just go to the YNP and/or GTNP links - lots of info and suggestions.

Level Contributor
180 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: OMG! Hubby just gave the green light..Sept. two weeks!

I'm sorry that it has taken awhile to get back to you all, but we had a death in the family that rocked us pretty hard. I will start planning again after Christmas. Thanks again for the advice from everyone. Take someone a smile...you never know.

Merry Christmas everyone!!!

New England
Destination Expert
for Ogunquit
Level Contributor
2,267 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: OMG! Hubby just gave the green light..Sept. two weeks!

my condolences to you, asparkle

pozj

Ennis MT
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,833 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: OMG! Hubby just gave the green light..Sept. two weeks!

I'm so sorry ASparkle - you have my sympathy and my prayers.

Paula

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,003 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: OMG! Hubby just gave the green light..Sept. two weeks!

asparkle, my condolences as well to you and to yours.

18. Re: OMG! Hubby just gave the green light..Sept. two weeks!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 pm, October 16, 2009