We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with trip to Jackson Hole/Yellow stone/ Grand Tetons

Baltimore
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Help with trip to Jackson Hole/Yellow stone/ Grand Tetons

We are traveling to Jackson Hole the end of July to visit my son who is doing a intership in Ashton Idaho. We are trying to fit in as much as possible in our 5 days there.

Day 1 - Grand Tetons

Day 2 Horse back riding tour to lunch time then proceed to Old Faithful part of park

Day 3- AM- Park (Any suggestions of other areas to go) PM - White water Rafting

Day 4 - Visit Ashton Idaho

Do any of you experienced travelers to this area have any other suggestions of how we can do this trip?

Do you have any recommendations of restaurants?

We will take any recommendations.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with trip to Jackson Hole/Yellow stone/ Grand Tetons

Given your limited time, I'd drop the horseback ride and drive/tour the park all of day 2., as well as day 3, unless you have never white watered. There is so much to see, you won't be disappointed.

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with trip to Jackson Hole/Yellow stone/ Grand Tetons

The two icons of Yellowstone are Old Faithful and the Lower Falls of the Yellowstone. If you can get to Artist Point early in the a.m. before the crowds arrive, you can enjoy the amazing scene at your leisure.

Elroy, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
195 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with trip to Jackson Hole/Yellow stone/ Grand Tetons

I agree completely with Voyaging. It would take a whole day to drive the roads in YNP, and wouldn't leave any time to explore some of the trails/ walks.

Will you be flying in & out of Jackson? If so, I'd suggest trying to see/do everything in the Tetons the first day, if time, especially if the weather is nice. Will your son be able to meet & accompany you any of these days? He probably knows about some cool "off the beaten path" places. You could check out Mormon Row, The Chapel of the Transfiguration, Jenny Lake, Jackson Lake, the Oxbow bend pullout along the Snake River - you can just make a loop by turning left at Moose & taking that road north, then coming back down to Jackson on US 191. There may be time to do a whitewater trip in the afternoon.

Day 2 & 3 - I'd plan to spend completely in Yellowstone. If you can't get reservations within the park (like at Canyon), you could try for the first night at Silver Gate (we've stayed at Silver Gate Cabins many times - they also have a few motel rooms, some with kitchens) or Cooke City, just outside the Northeast entrance. You could spend that day exploring from the south entrance of YNP up to Yellowstone Lake, the Canyon area and both the Upper & Lower Falls of the Yellowstone River (one of the drives there may be closed for construction, but if you can, take the trails down to the brinks of both the waterfalls - it's amazing), Hayden Valley, Mt. Washburn, Tower Falls, then to Cooke City or Silver Gate for the night. Lots of folks are seeing both Grizzly & Black Bears in these areas as well as the wolf packs, and we've seen mountain sheep, coyotes, antelope, moose, elk, deer & buffalo there in the past. This plan would give you opportunities to see wildlife in the Lamar River Valley both in the early evening & again the next morning as you drive back thru there on your way to see the west side of the park.

The next day: Northeast entrance to Tower Jct, over to Mammoth Hot Springs - maybe take the short drive up to Gardiner to see the Roosevelt Arch at the original entrance of the Park. We always see elk in that part of the park - it looks like they live right in Mammoth (most of the summer & fall, anyway). Then south to the Norris Geyser Basin (may want to see the Sheepeater Cliffs, Obsidian Cliffs, couple other places along the way), then southwest to Madison Jct (if you can, stop at Gibbon Falls - sometimes hard to get a parking place there, but it's pretty & there's a nice view).

From here, you have a couple different choices depending on how early in the day it is. You could continue south from Madison Jct (the Firehole Canyon drive is nice), visit the geyser basins, Old Faithful (be sure to go inside Old Faithful Inn - it's really neat to see), could walk the loop trail there to see Morning Glory Pool & the other geysers, then continue east on the road until you're back at West Thumb by Yellowstone Lake, or go as far that way as you feel you want to or have time for, then backtrack to Madison Jct & out to West Yellowstone for the night. If you can get lodging at Old Faithful, West Thumb or Grant Village, that would be nice.

Or, you could continue back along the lake up to Canyon (maybe see about lodging there for that night) & see anything that you missed the day before, then take the cut-across road over to Norris, then back down to Madison Jct, then out to West Yellowstone. I wouldn't recommend going all the way back down to Jackson each night as it is just too far to travel and will take time away from seeing stuff in Yellowstone. If you can, get your lodging reservations ASAP - that will help determine which routes you take and how much time you have to see the sights. Most of the restaurants inside the park are expensive (IMO), but most say the food is good. There are eating places in Cooke City & at least one cafe in Silver Gate. West Yellowstone has several eating places, a good steak house we've been to twice but can't remember the name. Jackson has many eating places - fast food to fine dining. We always bring a cooler for sandwiches, snacks & beverages so we can stop & picnic at some of the many places inside the park - cheaper & saves so much time.

From West Yellowstone, you can take US 20 west, then southwest down to Ashton. If you'll be flying out of Jackson, you could go south out of Ashton on Hwy 32 to Hwy 33 (thru Driggs & Victor) & see the "backside" of the Teton Mtns (also very scenic). Then, up over Teton Pass (beautiful) & back into Jackson. While visiting your son at Ashton, you might want to check out the Upper & Lower Mesa Falls just east of there - I haven't been there, but read on this site that they are something to see (I believe that road is gravel - Hwy 47???- your son may know). Hope this info will be helpful and that you really enjoy your trip. :0)

Baltimore
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with trip to Jackson Hole/Yellow stone/ Grand Tetons

Thank you so much for your help. We are staying in Jackson Hole. Do you know if there are any guided tours you can take of yellowstone that may leave from Jackson Hole. We are using my son's car while we are there and he needs to work on Monday and that day we could use to further explore YNP.

Any restaurant recommendations?

Have any of you done the horse back riding and/or white water rafting?

Elroy, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
195 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with trip to Jackson Hole/Yellow stone/ Grand Tetons

I think there have been recent posts from folks who have gone whitewater rafting on the Snake River & maybe some horseback riding; also recently someone asked about the bus tours & seems like someone replied that one company is based in Jackson & will pick you up right at your motel. Please check out the posts for Yellowstone & Grand Teton parks from the last week - I think you'll get some good info there.

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
656 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with trip to Jackson Hole/Yellow stone/ Grand Tetons

I stayed in Jackson Hole June 11-15, We opted not to do a park tour because of the distance to Yellowstone from Jackson. I did check into several private tours but couldn't find one that was less than $800 for 4 people. We did Yellowstone on our own, it wasn't crowded and it worked out wonderfully for us. We saw Old Faithful and the the lower end attactions. If you have the time, I'd recommend doing Yellowstone on your own. Just be sure to get a map so you can find all the great spots that others have recommended!! Enjoy the trip.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
27,429 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with trip to Jackson Hole/Yellow stone/ Grand Tetons

See Old Faithful and Artist Point for sure. Eat at the Gunbarrel in Jackson Hole. It is great!! Enjoy your trip.

Wyoming & Sanibel
Level Contributor
1,344 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with trip to Jackson Hole/Yellow stone/ Grand Tetons

Rather than a tour, you might look into renting a car for the day!

long beach
Level Contributor
121 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with trip to Jackson Hole/Yellow stone/ Grand Tetons

Hi...we've booked with dave hansen whitewater rafting out of jackson...think they have a combo trip package that includes horseback riding (next day after rafting)

think this outfit has been recommended by this forum

10. Re: Help with trip to Jackson Hole/Yellow stone/ Grand Tetons

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 am, October 02, 2009