We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zion to Yellowstone?

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
148 posts
176 reviews
Save Topic
Zion to Yellowstone?

So I need some help on trying to figure out what we should do on our drive from Zion to Yellowstone? We leave Zion on 8/16/08 and have reservations in Yellowstone beginning 8/18/08. That gives us 2 nights on the road.. Is there really any place in between there to stop for a night or two to break up the drive or should we just power on thru and find a place in Jackson and enjoy the Grand Teton area before going into Yellowstone?

If you suggest we power thru what suggestions for places to stay in Jackson for a family of 4 (2 adults, 11 & 8 yrs old kids). Nothing really rustic but doesn't have to be 5 star..

Winston Salem...
Level Contributor
1,223 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Zion to Yellowstone?

I'd stop on the 16th in either Salt Lake City or Park City, Utah, both about 4/12 - 5 hours from springdale. There are lots of fun things for kids in the mountains at Snowbird or Park City, like the Alpine Slide or taking the tram to the top of the mountain. Particularly after being in the heat of southern Utah, you may find it refreshing to be in the mountains for a day. Then head to Jackson on the 17th via the Logan Canyon Scenic Byway and past Bear Lake (exit Hwy 89 at Brigham City). Take a break with a local raspberry shake staring at the incredible turquose of Bear Lake.

In Jackson, I like Buckrail Lodge, but they only have 12 rooms, so they may be full. Have a super trip!

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
148 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Zion to Yellowstone?

Thank you for your response.. So it's about 10 hours straight drive to around Jackson right? That is a big haul but we do straight shot from Seattle to Disneyland just so we can get there and have more time (I know silly us). But the mountains with the slide and tram sound like an adventure!! We will have just spent 2 nights at GC North Rim and 4 nights in Zion/Bryce area..

I will check out the Buckrail Inn and see what they have, if anything..

Winston Salem...
Level Contributor
1,223 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Zion to Yellowstone?

Here's a link to Snowbird's summer activities. Those at Park City are similar, and many people prefer it because of the small shops, etc. Snowbird is in the Wasatach Mountains at about 8000 ft altitude, approximately 25 miles southeast of downtown Salt Lake City.

www.snowbird.com/events/summeractivities.html

California
Level Contributor
225 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Zion to Yellowstone?

We're going to stop in Salt Lake City between Zion and Grand Tetons. We'll go straight to Zion from the LA area, so I didn't want to do another really long driving day. My kids are about the same age as yours and my oldest is really curious about the Great Salt Lake!

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Zion to Yellowstone?

TwoSue, your family probably would enjoy this:

stateparks.utah.gov/parks/antelope-island/

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
148 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Zion to Yellowstone?

cdudley thanks for the link... Going to check that one out too..

Just trying to see if one day in the Tetons will be enough or if we should try to swing another day there or just come back down that way as we will be staying 5 nights in Yellowstone at Canyon Lodge area

Winston Salem...
Level Contributor
1,223 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Zion to Yellowstone?

If you can swing 2 days in the Tetons, I would encourage it. It's a totally different experience than Yellowstone.

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
148 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Zion to Yellowstone?

As my hubby said after driving straight down to GC North Rim an 8 hour day will be nothing.. LOL So I guess he is thinking of just getting out early on 8/16 and driving straight thru so we can spend 8/17 in the Tetons and most of 8/18 on our way up to Yellowstone..

9. Re: Zion to Yellowstone?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 pm, September 30, 2009