We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food for coolers/ grocery stores

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
798 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Food for coolers/ grocery stores

We'll be eating out of a cooler frequently for a couple of weeks. Breakfast and lunch/dinner sometimes. We usually do cereal, make sandwiches, protein and granola bars, and snacks like pretzels. Any other ideas for good and interesting food for 2 adults?

I plan on getting the initial supplies in Denver after we fly in. Then we'll be staying in Estes Park a couple days before heading on.

I think Cody might be a good place to stock up before a week in YS/GT? Where is a good place in YS to get additional food supplies if needed. We'll be staying inside the park OF, Canyon (2), Roosevelt, then G/T in Colter and/or Signal Mtn. Thanks for your ideas.

Mentioned in this post
Cody
Cody
Wyoming
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Level Contributor
558 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Food for coolers/ grocery stores

There is a wal mart on the west side of town in cody. We're planning on stocking up there too. Also jackson has albertsons which should have everything you need.

Catlin, Illinois
Level Contributor
838 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Food for coolers/ grocery stores

Hi prac1,

There is a Albertson's in Cody and Jackson. Just think a small Publix.

There are small stores in YS, but the prices are high. We did pick up a few things there instead of driving out side of the park.

Mentioned in this post
Cody
Cody
Wyoming
Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
369 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Food for coolers/ grocery stores

We usually pick up some bagged prewashed salad, add canned beans (black or garbanzo) and maybe some other goodies if the store has a salad bar. If either store has a good deli you might be able to pick up some meal additions there. Fresh fruit, yogurt and nuts make good snacks.

When we plan to be eating out of a cooler for multiple days, I bring a good sharp knife, a can opener, small grater, small cutting board, and a dish towel wrapped in a small table cloth.

New England
Destination Expert
for Ogunquit
Level Contributor
2,274 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Food for coolers/ grocery stores

We will most likely stop in Casper and Cody on our way to YNP from Denver

Here is a list of things that I have thought of:

Snack list for cooler:

Bottled water

Crackers

Cheese spread

Cheese stix

Peanut butter

Bagels

Dried fruit

Fresh fruit

Deli meats

Cheese

Bread/wraps (wraps take up less room in the cooler)

Granola bars

Gorp ingredients

Mentioned in this post
Casper
Casper
Wyoming
Cody
Cody
Wyoming
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,870 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Food for coolers/ grocery stores

Bottled water - get the sport bottle tops which if you have to refill you can. We always buy a bigger 1.5+ gallon of water to use for filling up bottles.

We always take tortillas with us... much more substantial than the little wraps they sell.

Make sure you have condiments, mayo, mustard, etc that you like on your wraps/sandwiches.

Pick up knives, forks and spoons, paper towels, paper plates etc.....

We also love Goldfish crackers.. they travel everywhere with us! Also fruit leather, chips and salsa (we are from Santa Fe, lol), and canned chicken to make a quick chicken salad sandwich.

Have a great trip!!!!

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
77 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Food for coolers/ grocery stores

For recent trips, I have bought UHT milk, or shelf milk sold under the Parmalat brand. It comes in juice box size cartons. It is great to travel with because it doesn't have to be refrigerated until opened. I put it on ice at night and the kids use it on their cereal in the morning. I can get it on sale on the East Coast for 3 cartons for $1. I am hoping Albertson's in Jackson sells it!

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
798 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Food for coolers/ grocery stores

Thanks for all the ideas. I hope to include some of them in my cooler to make things more interesting.

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,970 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Food for coolers/ grocery stores

Just remember that you are required to store all food and coolers inside a closed vehicle when not being used and your food must be attended to while not in storage. Unlike Yosemite, the bears in Yellowstone have never broken into a car going after food items. But as one pundit put it, "Yellowstone's critters are not brought to you by the folks who brought you Yogi or even Bambi." They are wild creatures and will act like that.

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
798 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Food for coolers/ grocery stores

Since you brought it up.... I wonder if the picnic tables are close to the parking lots? Why? I was envisioning eating lunch at a table and a bear appearing out of the woods and having to hightail it to my vehicle. Of course, one should never run when you see a bear approaching. :(

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Food for coolers/ grocery stores

I would relax about Yellowstone bears. They really don't like being around people. We went hiking in bear country and didn't see a single one. Of course we were making noise every now and then to alert any that were around of our presence.

We had several enjoyable picnics at various places in the park. Picnic tables were never far from the parking lot. Campers have to take extra precautions with food, particularly at night, but if you're just picnicking during the day all you have to do is keep the food in your vehicle between meals.

We found the general stores well supplied to meet the needs of campers, picnickers and staff who live in the park during the season. The prices were reasonable. I believe there are three or four of these stores around the park. The NPS website can give you that info.

Our favorite picnic spot was south of Madison off Fountain Flat Drive. It's a lovely place between the Firehole River and Nez Perce Creek.

Enjoy your trip!

Mentioned in this post
Firehole River
Firehole River
140 Reviews
Yellowstone National Park, WY