We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Black Hills to Yellowstone

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
137 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Black Hills to Yellowstone

I am looking for some more advice, we are flying into Denver on August 30, staying the night there and leaving Sunday to drive to Keystone. I had planned two nights there, then head to Cody for one night, two in Yellowstone, two in the Tetons, one night in Casper and back to Denver for the flight home. Would we be better off staying in Keystone one night then head to Buffalo, Wyoming then to Cody? We have reservations in Yellowstone and in the Tetons so I cannot change lodging there at this point. I am just concerned with all the driving from Keystone to Cody, around 411 miles versus 232 to Buffalo then 182 to Cody. We are all adults traveling, 6 of us. In Keystone we had planned Mt. Rushmore and Crazy Horse, and maybe Jewel Cave and Devils Tower. Thanks for advice.

Pennsylvania’s...
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Black Hills to Yellowstone

Leave in the way you have it now.

It's funny because i posted here right before you and I am doing the same trip.My question was only a different one.We will leave the Black Hills and make a stop at Devils Tower on the way to Cody.

I would not waste a night in Buffalo.

Make sure to go to the evening lighting ceremony at Mt Rushmore (A must).The Alpine Inn in Hill City awesome for dining.(closed on Sun)

I did this drive many times, Black Hill to Cody and always allow time for a stop at Devils Tower NM.

The route we take is I90 up to Sheridan, then 14 over the Bighorn Mountains and into Cody.

This is a beautiful scenic drive.

Leave Keystone early and you will have plenty of time

Devils Tower worth an hr stop....

LOL

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
137 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Black Hills to Yellowstone

thanks Joeman, my husband didn't seem to think it would be too long a drive and he will be doing most of the driving so I was just looking for another opinion. Buffalo did not look as if it had too much to offer. Have a great trip!

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Black Hills to Yellowstone

I agree with Joe. At least one full day at the Black Hills which already will be too short. Then bite the bullit and take the long stretch to Cody next day. Take us14 instead us14A between Sheridan and Cody, saves you some time although 14A even is more scenic than 14. During your BH stay don't forget to visit Custer SP. I would prefer that to Crazy Horse. Maybe see the sculpture from the roadside. Just mho.

Tet

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
27,429 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Black Hills to Yellowstone

We are doing this trip in 10 days beginning May 27. I like to stay 2 days in the same place if possible. We are staying 2 days in Keystone also. I would just stay in Keystone then head toward Deadwood and Devil's Tower on the way to Cody.

California
Level Contributor
688 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Black Hills to Yellowstone

We are also doing this trip.

Our concern is the driving from Sheridan to Cody. We were worried that it was a winding road at high elevation and better done during daylight hours.

Hopefully, the experts can check in...

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Black Hills to Yellowstone

There's nothing scary in driving from Sheridan to Cody via us14 but if you can, avoid driving in the dark on unknown roads re wildlife etc. Dark is dark here and roads are not lighted.

Tet

Bemidji, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,639 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Black Hills to Yellowstone

Although there is a fairly long drive involved, once you leave the western side of the Black Hills, the drive across Wyoming to Sheridan is fairly fast. If you leave Keystone fairly early, you should be in Cody well before dark.

8. Re: Black Hills to Yellowstone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:20 pm, September 27, 2009