We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lodging in Yellowstone

Dayton,Ohio
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
lodging in Yellowstone

We are taking advantage of the airfare discount Frontier is offering into Jackson Hole airport and we are planning on coming June 11-21. We are spending 4-5 days in Yellowstone and the rest in the Badlands. Since we have recently decided to come it is too late for in the park lodging, but I will keep checking Xanterra. I have read all the posts and I really appreciate the information.

We have tentatively made reservations at togwotee lodge. Now after reading more it does not seem to be the best location for seeing Yellowstone and the Tetons. My husband only wants one hotel for the five days and does not like "rustic" Could you please give me some advice about Togwotee 1. as a lodge, the reviews seem OK, but what do you think? 2. what about the location? His favorite choice of a hotel is Embassy Suites so you have some idea of what he likes.

I have also looked in the Big Sky area. There are some nice hotels in the Big Sky resort. Would these be a better choice? I looked at West Yellowstone, but I have not seen any available rooms that have good reviews.

I really appreciate any help with lodging. I know that the size of the part makes distances difficult to interpret.

Thank you

Springfield, Ohio
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: lodging in Yellowstone

Don't give up on staying in the park. The Xanterra site changes daily, if not hourly. Also, the telephone reservations agents are helpful. Our last trip to YNP we stayed in Canyon at a Cabin. We had two nights reserved Wed/Thurs and were able to stay Friday night as well. We asked when we got there and it was available!

I just booked a cabin at Colter Bay Cabins in the Tetons. They were sold out a few nights, but I was able to get one night I wanted.

I'd skip the badlands. Compared the YNP and the Tetons, it's not much of anything but well, some bad land, and there's NOTHING at the park except for a blessedly cool visitors center. If you're set on South Dakota, do the Black Hills, but that's a long drive from Yellowstone. Better would be to visit more of Idaho and Montana--less driving and nicer scenery.

12. Re: lodging in Yellowstone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:30 am, September 25, 2009