We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canyon Western Lodges

Nashville
Level Contributor
1,093 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Canyon Western Lodges

I just called Xanterra with the hopes of reserving 3 nights next June in either Dunraven or Cascade Lodge. There are no rooms available during our stay there. I was shocked that they were booked up 10 1/2 months out. I could only get a lodge room for 1 night during my time frame.

My best option was a Western Cabin with 2 queen beds. I went ahead and reserved it I will check back periodically to see if there are cancellations for the Lodges.

2 different families that we are close to have been to Yellowstone this summer. One stayed in a Cascade lodge room and advised us not to stay in a cabin. They said they looked like they were ready to fall down. They didn't go in them and didn't know the differences in the types of cabins. They did stay in a snow lodge cabin and liked it.

The other family stayed in a cabin (frontier I think) and advised us not to stay in a cabin. They were not pleased. (However, they loved the Colter Bay cabins in the Tetons.)

Is there anyone with experience this summer in a renovated Western cabin? We will be on the outskirts of the park a few nights, but I would like to spend 2-3 consecutive nights in the interior.

Thanks for any input on this.

Nashville
Level Contributor
1,093 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Canyon Western Lodges

The title should be Canyon Western Cabins. I did find a picture of the outside of the Western Cabins on the xanterra website and they look much better from the outside than the pioneer or frontier cabins. I am not expecting a Hilton, but I want to make sure we won't hear everything in the next cabin and I am hoping there will be enough floor room for a twin air mattress for 1 of the kids.

AKJ
Bruceton Mills...
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Canyon Western Lodges

I suppose it depends on your expectations.

We were in a Frontier cabin in June and liked it to a point. Two twin beds but did have a bathroom. It would have been nice if there was a bench outside because there isn't much room inside.

Next June were in a Frontier cabin with two double beds. It'll be nice to have the extra room.

One of the lodges doesn't have an elevator so watch that.

We didn't find the cabins to be that noisy. We were also exhausted every evening and might not have been able to tell.

I tried to get a western cabin but they didn't have any on their website when we wanted to go. Maybe I should check back.

Nashville
Level Contributor
1,093 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Canyon Western Lodges

AKJ

The western cabins aren't on the website. When I called, they were available all nights that I checked on.

AKJ
Bruceton Mills...
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Canyon Western Lodges

Thanks. I may call them tomorrow just to check. We'll be ok in any event.

New England
Level Contributor
79 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Canyon Western Lodges

I was very worried about staying in a western cabin at Yellowstone as I knew they all had not been renovated yet. We were there the end of June. I spoke to one of the Xanterra employees who reserved a cabin in a specific block because she said that they had been renovated. There are about 6-8 cabins in a row attached. When we arrived guess what we were in a nonrenovated cabin. We had to spend 1 night there and then they let us move. While the first cabin was not too bad. The second cabin was beautiful inside. From being there I can tell you (you can tell from the outside) the vast majority of the cabins were either already renovated or being renovated when we were there so should be completed by next June. I pulled my receipt. The first cabin was P80 not renvoated. The second cabin was P36 renovated. You could request, but not guaranteed to be in the P30's. Out back was just the woods and near by was a path to walk down to the canyon. The xanterra employees told us that the renovated cabins were much nicer then the lodge. We found it easier to stay in a cabin as you can just back up and unload and if you need something just run out to the car and grab it. The cabins were just about as nice as the High Range room we had at Old Faithful and much nicer then the room at Grant. I think the unrenovated room was each to the room at grant. The outside of the pioneer cabins are the once you can see from the road and don't look great. But, I was not inside one. Hope this helps.

Nashville
Level Contributor
1,093 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Canyon Western Lodges

swmd.

Your response has helped a lot. I will make sure that I call back and request a renovated cabin in that section. I have a map of the canyon lodging that our friends brought us and I can see right where you stayed.

By the way, one of my all time favorite vacations was in your area. We flew into Boston and spent a few days there. Then we spent several days in the New Hampshire White Mountains and finished with 2 days in Bar Harbor. New England was beautiful and the people were great!

I am trying to get all of this wrapped up before school starts. (I am a teacher.) I started football practice yesterday, so my free time is over. I now have the main parts of the trip booked, so I won't have to worry about that during the school year.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,216 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Canyon Western Lodges

Hey tntands we will be in YS same time as you are and I'm a teacher as well (high school math). Looks like we both have the same idea, finish school and get on the road!

Nashville
Level Contributor
1,093 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Canyon Western Lodges

I also teach high school math. I will have a week after exams and the state track meet before we make the trip. I love to leave town the day after the state track meet, but we delayed our trip a week in hopes of better weather.

A great thing about teaching is that each year, you get a fresh start and you have an end to reach. Have a great school year.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,216 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Canyon Western Lodges

So when we are in Yellowstone at the same time and see someone else helping their kids figure the height of Old Faithful with geometry, we will know it is the 2 of us!, LOL!

We have school until June 2 and June 3 is a snow makeup day, so I can't plan on leaving that day until we know how the year goes.

10. Re: Canyon Western Lodges

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 pm, September 06, 2009