We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Backcountry Camping in Yellowstone

Boston
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Backcountry Camping in Yellowstone

Heading out in the middle of August with two other people. We are "Flat Landers" not really hiking experts or novices for that matter. Can anyone recommend a good spot/area for us to hike out to that won't give us heart attacks and camp for a couple of days or so. Or point me in the right direction where I can get more info .

Thanks

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,285 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Backcountry Camping in Yellowstone

First visit the official NPS website, www.nps.gov/yell/ for all information.

Here's also a link to directly to their backcountry trip planner

nps.gov/yell/…backcountrytripplanner.htm

You have to have a permit to camp in the backcountry.

My recommendation is to do car camping and then day hikes in the areas you find interesting.

Hope this helps some.

Boston
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Backcountry Camping in Yellowstone

That site is very helpful thanks a lot. Considered the car camping but want to get the full experience of the park in all it's glory.

thanks a million!

Robert

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,285 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Backcountry Camping in Yellowstone

Just being IN the park will give you the experience in all it's glory!!

Have fun.

West Yellowstone, MT
Level Contributor
1,646 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Backcountry Camping in Yellowstone

Robert-

You'll want to make sure you get the latest update on fire restrictions for back country camping (what type of fire/stove you can use and where). Due to this summer's extremely dry conditions, new restrictions went into place last week that may last all summer. Just check with the backcountry ranger office when you get here or let me know if you need a phone number to call before you come.

5. Re: Backcountry Camping in Yellowstone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:19 pm, September 04, 2009