We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight Parking

Erie, Colorado
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Overnight Parking

Where do you park your vehicle if you want to do backcountry hiking? I've read that you can't leave a vehicle overnight at the trailhead. For example, I want to do the Sky Rim Trail in 2 days with an overnight in one of the backcountry campsites. But how do I get to this trailhead if I can't park my car overnight? Is there a shuttle bus from the campgrounds? I can't just use a taxi because I have no idea when we'll be done with the hike...unless there's awesome cell phone reception so I can call for one. Is there good cell phone reception? Can Taxis use the park? Thanks, Jon

4 replies to this topic
Driggs, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Grand Teton National Park
Level Contributor
3,644 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overnight Parking

The no overnight parking is more of a deterrent for people camping/sleeping in their cars or RV because they need to use designated campsites vs parking lots.

When you get your permit for the backcountry campsite, they'll take your car information, so they'll know who you are. You are going to get a permit, even though the trail starts outside of the park at Daly, correct?

Backcountry permits can be obtained in West Yellowstone at the West Yellowstone Visitor Information Center - (307) 344-2876.

I'm fairly certain this hike will not be snow free yet. That usually won't happen until mid -July. We got snow yesterday in higher elevations and right now we still have snow about 7,000 feet.

Edited: 4:16 pm, June 11, 2018
Mentioned in this post
Erie, Colorado
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overnight Parking

Thanks for the reply. Yes, we'll definitely get a permit. I'm actually targeting the first weekend in September for the hiking. I turn 50 in August and want to do 50 miles of total hiking to celebrate. So I'm hoping to do a couple of 20+ mile hikes with a hotel stay in between to freshen up :)

Driggs, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Grand Teton National Park
Level Contributor
3,644 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overnight Parking

Sounds lovely. That was on my bucket list but we won't be in the area when it is snow free since we are moving away so, another day I guess. Maybe when I turn 50! Check w/ynp now to see if your campsite (the only 1 bc site on this trail) is available during your hike.

Please consider GTNP for a good hike.... you can easily get into Alaska Basin from the Teton Valley, ID side and you do not need a permit to camp there. If you have gravitated towards the Skyline Trail in YNP, you would surely like Alaska Basin and the Teton Crest trail area. Another is up the tram, out to Death Canyon shelf or lower canyon and out the next day.

Edited: 10:03 pm, June 11, 2018
Erie, Colorado
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Overnight Parking

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check it out!

Reply to: Overnight Parking
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;