We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Black Hills to Yellowstone-10 Sleep,Thermopolis, Cody, Bear?

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
70 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Black Hills to Yellowstone-10 Sleep,Thermopolis, Cody, Bear?

We - my husband, my 11 year-old son, my sister-in-law, and my in-laws and I - are in the process of planning a cross-country car trip this July from Birmingham, Alabama.

We'll be staying at Custer State Park for three nights and two full days to see Mt Rushmore, etc.

We'll be taking three days from Custer State Park to Yellowstone and here's what we've planned thus far:

Custer State Park - Devil's Tower - Buffalo - Ten Sleep - Thermopolis

Thermopolis - Meeteetsee - Cody

Cody - Red Lodge, Montana - Beartooth Pass - Yellowstone NE Entrance - Mammoth Hot Springs

Endless Mountains...
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Black Hills to Yellowstone-10 Sleep,Thermopolis, Cody, Bear?

Not a bad itinerary,heres something else to look at..

Hill city 4 nights 3 days Lot to see in the scenic Black Hills of S.D.

Hill City more central and much nicer than Custer + you have The Alpine Inn to dine at.PARAMONT you eat here and also catch the lighting ceremony at Mt. Rushmore.Alpine Inn marquee of the Black Hills.I'll also add deserts BEST ever.

Then on to Devils Tower via Deadwood,time permitting ,a stop at the cemetery where Wild Bill Hickok an Calamity Jane buried side by side on this very hilly site.Not much else to do here in Deadwood unless u are a gambler.On to Sheridan then a stop at the Little Bighorn Battlefield Monument,Red Lodge,Bear Tooth Pass,and finally on to NE entrance to Yellowstone(Mammoth).Make sure on way out to wherever you go,visit the spectacular Grand Teton National Park.

AWESOME places & parks you will visit......Hope this helps....

West Yellowstone, MT
Level Contributor
1,646 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Black Hills to Yellowstone-10 Sleep,Thermopolis, Cody, Bear?

Just a question -

Are you driving to Red Lodge from Cody through the Park or around it?

3. Re: Black Hills to Yellowstone-10 Sleep,Thermopolis, Cody, Bear?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 am, August 29, 2009