We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is July 11-17 a good time to go out there??

Stuart, Florida
Level Contributor
112 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Is July 11-17 a good time to go out there??

I don't want to go at a bad time?

Level Contributor
107 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is July 11-17 a good time to go out there??

That depends on what your traveling plans are. Are you flexible in your plans? Do you have children? Can you wait until later on in the season, and so forth. My wife and I are empty-nesters and travel to the Park right after Labor Day: no crowds, more quiet, less traffic, autumn scenery. But if you have children, school schedules come into play.

I grew up in Wyoming, and I have been through Yellowstone many times in all seasons. July is crowded, heavy traffic, and the roads in Yellowstone are two-lane and winding. Speed limits are 45 mph. You'll spend more time on the road inside the Park than you think. So summer time does have some challenges.

The MOST IMPORTANT (my emphasis) is lodging reservations if you want to stay inside the Park. People sometimes make lodging reservations inside the Park a YEAR in advance. Lodging for inside Yellowstone is made at www.xanterra.com. This is an easy-to-navigate web site and will show you lodging options inside the Park.

I hope this helps a bit. Good luck, enjoy your trip!

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,552 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is July 11-17 a good time to go out there??

Palmcity: I would definitely choose this time rather than the end of June as you had said before, simply because you can travel along the Beartooth Highway with wildflowers in bloom and without ice and snow covered lakes. As cav said, it is definitely important to make sure you can still get reservations, however, as spots are taken very quickly and early.

3. Re: Is July 11-17 a good time to go out there??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 am, August 28, 2009
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travelers like you.
Join TripAdvisor