We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sawing Logzz Bed and Breakast: Not so home-ey

Long Valley, NJ
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
Save Topic
Sawing Logzz Bed and Breakast: Not so home-ey

This B&B just opened as a B&B this Summer, and you can still tell that it's new, and the hosts need to learn a little about hosting a B&B. First off, we were greeted with a note in the window of the door. Now, that'd be ok, has the owners been out, or something, but they were home. The hosts did come down and say hello, and show us around. They pointed out the breakfast area, the TV/DVD player, the bedroom, bathroom, etc. (The water smelled of sulfur (rotten eggs) so much we basically used bottled for everything,) That was the last we saw of them. Breakfast was ok, we basically made some toast, and cereal, and left our check on the table as our receipt was slipped under the door the night before, and we headed on our way. The her son did say hello a couple of times when we returned from dinner, so he was quite pleasant at least. All in all, not a bad place to stay, but for a B&B we did feel quite alone for staying in someone's home. The bed, quilt and room were awesome in that it was really quiet, and comfy overall.

We had wanted to stay in the Princess Copper Center Lodge, and were we to visit again, we would hope that the lodge would have avability.

River Wrangellers
Other Outdoor Activities
Copper River Guides
Fishing Charters & Tours, River Rafting & Tubing
Salmon Grove
Multi-day Tours, River Rafting & Tubing, Boat Tours, Fishing Charters & Tours, Self-Guided Tours & Rentals
Yukon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,218 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sawing Logzz Bed and Breakast: Not so home-ey

If I have to stay in a B&B, that's exactly what I want - show me the basics and then disppear. I want a place to stay - if I want a new friend as well, I'll go and find them.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,122 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sawing Logzz Bed and Breakast: Not so home-ey

Yep, me too......making superficial conversation with strangers is not my idea of a vacation.......a good B&B Host will make themselves available if you need suggestions for day trips or have brochures and maps at hand, but they are not there to entertain you.........Peace and quiet are the first and foremost things I look for in accomadations and it seems these folks were being very respectful of your privacy.........

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,971 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sawing Logzz Bed and Breakast: Not so home-ey

JessNJ, thank you for posting your review and as a result I bookmarked this place.

Similar to to both previous posters I too look for a quiet and private place to stay and not counting on making new friends. I usually do not feel like I want to have a conversation early in the morning with people I don't know. In the evening after returning tired and sweat from hiking or climbing all I want to do is to take a shower and do nothing. I don't want to be bombarded with questions how was my day while I hardly stay up on my feet. There are always opportunities to talk with host or hostess but also appreciate my privacy and I feel they deserve the same.

I agree they are there to provide place to stay and not to entertain us. Personally, we rather not stay in B&Bs unless they have private entrance and self served breakfast. While in Alaska we always find many opportunities to talk with many visitors or locals and enjoy it immensely but in the beginning and the end of the day these moments belong to my husband and myself.

The website for Sawing Logzz B&B states clearly they have one guest suite with its own private entrance and private full bath, a private sitting room and room includes microwave, refrigerator and coffee maker with self-serve continental breakfast.

I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay there. It sounds like a wonderful place to stay for us and we certainly will check it out before our next trip to the area.

A hint: if you look at any B&B that has only one room it means this is not a main source of income for its hosts and that also means they have other jobs and responsibilities. Further, one room means there is be no chance of socializing with other guests.

I hope you enjoyed your trip to Alaska anyway even if this B&B did not meet your expectations.

1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Sawing Logzz Bed and Breakast: Not so home-ey

Jess NJ

I have also stayed at Sawing Logzz B&B, and i feel that the hosts were exceptionally nice and considerate. After a long day of traveling the quiet was very nice. But on the other hand the hosts were very friendly and came down to see us and we chatted almost every morning. As others have said though, us travelers are not always there to make friends. Needless to say the were very friendly and we enjoyed sharing swapping stories and information.(Sometimes i think the hosts, of all bed and breakfasts are not sure how much you are up for, and are not sure if you are a very social type or not. )

As for the water, I inquired about it. They nicely explained that the water has the sulfur smell because water in Alaska is very "hard" and requires a process to improve it. The husband told us that the water is very safe to drink, and use to make any coffee or other things. The smell is just a result of the water having to be softened.

All and all we had a wonderful stay, and would highly recommend it to anyone who is traveling through the Copper Center area. Great people and a great place to stay!

Level Contributor
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sawing Logzz Bed and Breakast: Not so home-ey

Hello, I just wanted you to know the water is safe to drink and we have improved the softening process and does not smell like rotten eggs. We have been very successful in our new venture. I hope you will give us another try. Sincerely , sawing logzz B&B

6. Re: Sawing Logzz Bed and Breakast: Not so home-ey

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 pm, September 02, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Copper Center