We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Princess Copper River Lodge

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
131 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Princess Copper River Lodge

We would like to spend several days at the Princess Copper River Lodge but do not want to take the Princess cruisetour. Has anyone done this? Can we take a rental car (paved roads?) Thanks.

13 replies to this topic
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Princess Copper River Lodge

We drove our rental car to the Lodge. The road is paved so there's no problem. We didn't stay there but it's a beautiful place.

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Princess Copper River Lodge

As an individual tourist I wouldn't stay again at this place but my question is,lvs2cruz, what are you planning to do in the area when staying several days there? It is OK for an overnight or maybe two nights stay but several days?

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
131 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Princess Copper River Lodge

We spent several days at The Kenai Princess with my husband fishing every day, and I took excursions from there. I was hoping we could do the same again from their Copper River Lodge. Really, I'm happy just sitting on the deck with a good book, but DH really, really loves to fish.

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,526 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Princess Copper River Lodge

It is a beautiful setting and definitely a great place to sit and enjoy a book. It is a smaller Princess Lodge and the rooms are nothing special but the setting is great and lodging options in the area can be pretty limited. They do a ranger presentation in the evening and have dog sled demos available. The restaurant is nice but I prefer the bar and the view from the bar, you can ask for the full menu if the bar menu doesn't interest you.

If you are interested in a B&B in the area I would recommend Sawing Logzz B&B.

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
8,896 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Princess Copper River Lodge

You don't have to be on a cruisetour to stay at Princess properties, although they have priority. Go to the Princess Lodges website if you wish to book. There is not much to do there. They do have trips to Kennicott. Originally they left from a small flight strip at Copper Center, but now they drive you to Chitina. As you have your own wheels you can do that on your own (flight and/or road) to McCarthy

MA
Level Contributor
37 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Princess Copper River Lodge

We stayed here for one nite in July last summer and got a great price probably because there were no cruisetours on the particular nite we stayed. The lodge and grounds are beautiful. If you have a car you'll be all set to explore the area.

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
131 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Princess Copper River Lodge

Thanks for the replies -- Is it an easy (good roads) drive from Anchorage?

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,526 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Princess Copper River Lodge

Yes, two lane paved highway the entire way with passing lanes. It is a very scenic drive and parts of the road are better than others but if you take your time and don't rush the trip you should have a good trip.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Princess Copper River Lodge

It's a very easy drive. For most of it you're on the Glenn Hwy, a paved 2 lane hwy. Quite scenic, passing the Sheep Mountains and Matanuska Glacier. After Glennallen you travel a short bit on the Richardson Hwy, also paved and 2 lanes. Easily do-able in a day.

Another option would be to drive to Whittier, take the ferry to Valdez and drive north a couple of hrs to Copper Center. Or perhaps return that way at the end of your trip for a change in scenery.

The drive for the last hour before Valdez is spectacular, so even if you take the Glenn Hwy for both legs of your journey, you really must drive to Valdez.

atlanta
Level Contributor
41 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Princess Copper River Lodge

Is anyone familiar with the Princess tour from the Princess Copper River Lodge to the Kennicott mine, the land tour? It looks like a very long tour (12 hrs) with much of the travel on the "dirt" road. I'm just wondering if it is worth the 12 hours and if the travel is boring or is it interesting?

It is $120 vs $400 for the air tour. Is the air tour worth the difference? The time is the same.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to: Princess Copper River Lodge
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Copper Center