We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

advice on finger lakes trip

Which Seneca Falls hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
long island n.y.
Level Contributor
75 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
advice on finger lakes trip

I will be dropping my son off in Suny Fradonia and my wife and I would like to take a 4 day trip in the Finger Lakes region. We want to end up in Saratoga for 1 day. Can you recommend itinerary and any worthwhile sights. We like state parks, quaint towns, botanical gardens and winery's. Also, if anyone can recommend Bed and Breakfast in each area.

NY
Level Contributor
775 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: advice on finger lakes trip

If you have time LilyDale is about 15 minutes from Fredonia and you can read my review. The Chautauqua Institution (wwww.ciweb.org) is about 30 minutes from Fredonia.

I strongly recommend you fit in Letchworth State Park. Other options can be Watkins Glen State Park, waterfall parks and wineries in Ithaca, Chittenango Falls State Park near Syracuse and then head to Saratoga.

I can't help with B&B.

Have a great trip and let us know how it goes.

Boston...
Level Contributor
836 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: advice on finger lakes trip

Drive from Ithaca to I-90(Waterloo Outlets) or Vice Versa along the Cayuga lake is nice. One side is the lake & other side is Wineries. Its a nice drive. Ithaca is a small College town(Cornell Univ) and you can check out Buttermilk Falls State Park & Taughannock Falls State Park. I have not been to Geneva or Watkins glen. But if you have time, maybe you can start in Geneva and drive along seneca lake to Watkins glen. From there hit Ithaca and drive along Cayuga lake to I-90 to be enroute to Albany/Saratoga Region.

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
6,615 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: advice on finger lakes trip

Coming from Fredonia, you should definitely stop at Letchworth State Park then continue down I-390 to the Cohocton exit (exit 2) and head north on Rt. 21 towards Naples/Canandaigua. In Canandaigua, visit Sonnenburgh Gardens. You could then either head west towards Geneva and then sourh on Rt. 14 to Watkins Glen or turn off of Rt. 14 south onto Rt. 54 to Penn Yan and the Keuka Lake area. Both lakes have many wineries. The small village of Hammondsport at the south end of Keuka Lake is quaint and worth a stop. The Glen Curtiss aviation museum is there and is a very interesting place. If you head towards Watkins Glen, definitely visit the state park. You could thne head away from the lakes on Rt. 414 south and visit Corning - nice downtown area and great museums (Corning Glass and Rockwell - western art) or take Rt. 414 north/Rt. 79 easr to Ithaca. In addition to the parks mentioned earlier, you should visit Robert Treman - IMHO it is the best of the three because of the varied scenery and great hike. Taughannock Farms Inn is a pleasant B&B next to the state park of the sane name. All the Ithaca area parks are worth visiting. From there, you could head towards I-81 (Cortland) then take I-90 to Albany/Saratoga.

Have a great trip!

4. Re: advice on finger lakes trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, January 31, 2010