We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bookstores

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
96 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Bookstores

Late 1980s, there was a bookstore on Vine in OTR with a coffeehouse...is it still around, or can anyone recommend another used or independent bookstore?

Columbus, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Columbus
Level Contributor
756 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bookstores

I think you're thinking of Kaldi's? It closed a few years ago.

The Ohio Bookstore sells used books and is still going on Main Street downtown. Duttenhofer's on W. McMillan by UC is a pretty good used bookstore.

Does anyone know if Bookstore Brengelman is still going? It's located in an old house on a kind of desolate block of McMicken Ave with just a small sign that says "Bookstore." It's only open a few hours on Saturday and Sunday, but is jammed full of used books. I haven't made it by there since I moved to Columbus in 2004, but if it is still going, it's well worth a visit for a book lover.

Joseph Beth is a big box store at Rookwood Pavilion in Norwood. It's part of a small chain that also has stores in Tennessee, Kentucky and a couple other places. I feel like their selection isn't as good as it was when they first opened in the 90s, but it's not a bad alternative to Barnes & Noble.

Shake It Records in Northside is primarily a music store, but they have a pretty good selection of offbeat independent books and magazines.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,438 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bookstores

Outside of Cincinnati there's "Books in Shandon" in Shandon, OH. They do have a website. Check if they are open since I think they close for awhile in the winter.

Also, if you are interested in used books, check the website of "Friends of the Public Library" for the Cincinnati/Hamilton County Public Library. They have great used book sales several times a year. There are also used books for sale at reasonable prices at the Main Library downtown. The Friends run a great gift shop there with unique items. Check the Library's website for opening hours for the gift shop.

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
96 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bookstores

Thank you both!

4. Re: Bookstores

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, March 03, 2014