We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Western & Southern Open

Which Cincinnati hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Elizabethton,TN
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Topic
Western & Southern Open

Coming to Cincinnati for the Western & Southern Open for the first time in August. We will be staying at the Drury Inn on Sharon Rd. I would like some recommendations on the tournament and some must see sights in the Cincinnati area. We will have a car, so transportation won't be a problem. Any advise will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
684 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Western & Southern Open

If you mine this board and look under "Things to Do" you should find all of the information you need. There are also a few places close to where you are staying that you might want to check out:

1. Glenwood Gardens (Hamilton County Park District) is a nice park not too far from your motel. There is a yearly fee good for all parks in the district but you can also get a day pass.

2. Pappadeaux Seafood Kitchen in nearby Springdale is a good choice for a nice dinner in a relaxing atmosphere.

3. Cock & Bull Pub: just up the road from you has a nice rooftop seating area overlooking some train tracks. A finer dining establishment called the Iron Horse is next door.

4. Tri-County Mall is nearby for shopping as well as multiple restaurants

5. Ikea is just up I-75 with plenty of restaurants and other shopping neary.

6. Century Inn: an old restaurant with acceptable food and a nice biergarden close to Glenwood Gardens

7. Sharon Woods: very nice county park (see above) with a venerable golf course (no driving range) and a lake with small boat rental and nice walking trails.

As you might have guessed I live in the vicinity. Enjoy your visit.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4,028 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Western & Southern Open

The tennis tournament is such a well-run event and just about every seat is a good one. An excellent restaurant not far from the tournament is Sichuan Bistro, truly authentic Chinese food, and surprisingly for a very casual and reasonably-priced restaurant, just named to the Top 10 restaurants in Cincinnati by Cincinnati Magazine.

The Cincinnati Art Museum in Eden Park (near downtown) has a very nice permanent collection and admission is free; just $4 for parking, which is covered if you lunch there. Open daily 9 to 5 with docent-led tours every day at 1 PM.

I also love Glenwood Gardens, which has really nice walking trails from a 1-mile to a 3-mile circuit plus a wonderful large children's section.

Detroit, Michigan
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Western & Southern Open

Hi. Lots of great bars across the river on the riverfront in Kentucky. I also noticed you posted a while back that you were going to Arlington. My friends and I are going for a Cowboys game in October (we are from Michigan). So what was your experience down there? Where should we stay (location, not necessarily hotel)... Are there a lot of bars near the stadium? we do this to a different NFL Stadium every year, and typically do not like to stay in the suburbs, we like old downtowns with a lot of bars. ANy help you can provide would be greatly appreciated amichewicz@yahoo.com

Edited: 1:01 pm, May 13, 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4,028 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Western & Southern Open

Hi, Tony M, and welcome to tripadvisor. You may not be aware that you can send a private message to a poster by simply clicking on the member's screen name on his posting, which will bring up his Contributions page and look for the "Send Message" button on the left side. It is best to keep the Cincinnati forum for Cincinnati travel issues. Also, this way you are not posting your email address on such a public forum. Enjoy and good luck!

Edited: 2:47 pm, May 13, 2012
5. Re: Western & Southern Open

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:41 pm, June 17, 2013