We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking to Findlay Market?

Maastricht, The...
Destination Expert
for Maastricht
Level Contributor
730 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Walking to Findlay Market?

Hi,

I'me already doing some research for our 4 week roadtrip next september and have some questions for the (local) experts.

I saw there's a farmers market 3 times a week at Findlay Market. Tuesday,Saterday & Sunday which we would love to visit.

Looking at Google-maps it's pretty much a 2km walk up Vine Street to get there from Fountain Square in downtown. We don't mind the walk, but i was wondering if it was safe, or would anyone suggest another walking route?(maybe through Washington Park), or maybe it would be best driving there????

I was also looking for a nice drive through some pretty Cincy subs with maybe some open air shopping/dining/hiking/nice houses or mansions.

Any suggestions on some daytrips maybe??

We're coming from Indy and will be leaving for Columbus,OH.

Thank you all for helping out!!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,434 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking to Findlay Market?

Lelici, scroll down a bit and look for the tour of the Hyde Park neighborhood t hat I outlined for Mancunian Dave. It includes shopping, dining, hiking and some nice houses.

Also, take a look at the one that I did for Mt. Auburn/Clifton. There are some nice houses there, too.

Personally, I wouldn't walk from Fountain Square to Findlay Market. Currently, there's construction at Washington Park and there was a big to-do when that started since its where many homeless people spent time.

Findlay Market is worth a visit.

If you want some unusual food/grocery shopping, take a look a Jungle Jim's. The locals shop there and the tour buses stop there, too. It's a pretty interesting place.

Edited: 9:06 pm, December 06, 2011
Cincinnati
Level Contributor
702 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking to Findlay Market?

If you don't feel safe walking, hop on a bus . . .

http://www.go-metro.com/poi.html

Maastricht, The...
Destination Expert
for Maastricht
Level Contributor
730 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking to Findlay Market?

Thank you bothe for helping out! I already saw a posting of JJ, which we are gonna visit for sure.

I know i can hop on a bus, i just want to know if the area is safe for walking. We love to hike/walk...

I read there was someone killed each day in 2005.....Maybe things have changed for the better.

Maybe i should bring my mother in law??!! :-)) LOL

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking to Findlay Market?

Jungle Jim's is a gimmicky, overgrown grocery store IMO that's somewhat out of the way. I would hate to waste valuable time on a trip from Europe to visit it, although its publicity machine is a tourist magnet. Many people (including me) visit it just to see it, and never have an interest in ever returning.

It might be more informative to visit a Whole Foods Market somewhere on your trip, or a Giant Eagle Market District store in Columbus, as these stores are considered the cutting edge of the highly competitive American grocery industry.

marketdistrict.com/locations/Overview.aspx

If you want to see IMO a better bit of Americana near Cincinnati, visit the nearby Creation Museum. It delights religious fundamentalists and kids, and amuses if not horrifies more scientifically minded individuals. If interested, watch the great movie "Inherit the Wind" before coming. It well sets the stage of the great American cultural debate over evolution.

pewresearch.org/pubs/1105/darwin-debate-reli…

IMO, by far the best day trip from Cincinnati is to visit Dayton to see the U.S. Air Force National Museum, and perhaps the excellent Carillon Historical Park to see the world's first airplane and Huffman Prairie Flying Field, arguably one of the most historical locations in the world as this is where the Wright brothers risked their lives repeatedly and displayed the utmost in applied genius in perfecting the world's first heavier-than-air flying machine. This would be an extremely full day, so plan to get to Dayton early if interested. Bring your passports, and as soon as you arrive at the Air Force museum sign up for the on-base tour of the presidential airplanes and experimental aircraft.

How long will you be in Cincinnati? How many day trips are you looking for?

One suggestion would be to leave Cincinnati early and to visit the Hocking Hills on your way to Columbus. It's considered one of the most beautiful locations in Ohio.

http://hockinghills.com/

Maastricht, The...
Destination Expert
for Maastricht
Level Contributor
730 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking to Findlay Market?

Hi TranscendentalEye,

again thanks for the recommendations.

We're not sure yet how long we will still in Cincy. It all depends on whats to do in the area, and the weather of course. We have 4 weeks, and where we like it, we will stay longer, if not we move on.

So far we will visit Findlay Market and walk into the downtown area. That will take 1 full day.

Maybe do some shopping in Anderson Towne Center/Jungle Jim/Outlet.

Maybe a short visit across the bridge in KY(Newport/Covington).

I'me looking for a nice day-drive through some nice subs/(wooded)area's, visiting some towns, not to far from Cincy. Maybe this do a 5-6 mile hike somewhere.

We were planning to visit the Hocking Hills on our way to Columbus. Maybe make another daytrip from Col. to the Hills if we like it.

Still looking for a nice loop-hike in that area...

Thanks, L!

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking to Findlay Market?

There is NO WAY someone was killed there each day in 2005. NO WAY. Murder counts for the city of Cincinnati usually total around 60-80 per year, not 365 - not even close Serious crime has been decreasing for years here - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cincinnati.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking to Findlay Market?

Hocking Hills trails:

http://www.hockinghills.com/trail_maps.html

Ash Cave, Cedar Falls and Old Man's Cave, are my personal favorites.

Maastricht, The...
Destination Expert
for Maastricht
Level Contributor
730 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Walking to Findlay Market?

Search this site for: Over The Rhine, Cin. or click this link:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60993-i402-k18763…

That's where i read about the shootings.

I'me having a hard time reading/understanding these maps. Old man's Cave is a 6 Mile hike, but is it a loop of 6 miles? Is it marked in any way? Is it an easy hike?Where is the starting location?

A bit confusing for me, and we don't want to get lost in these woods....

Thank you both.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Walking to Findlay Market?

You can take a long hike connecting several of the parks, or drive to each park and take shorter hikes. Most of the hikes are loops, but sometimes you might want to backtrack.

Here's another site that provides elevation and trail difficulty ratings. There are some steep steps into and out of the gorge.

www.trails.com/tcatalog_trail.aspx…

The Grandma Gatewood Trail (right margin) is the long trail connecting three parks.

There should be a lot of people there at the time of your trip and the trails aren't difficult. It would be tough to get lost IMO.

Hope this helps!

Maastricht, The...
Destination Expert
for Maastricht
Level Contributor
730 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Walking to Findlay Market?

Ok, thanks for the info Transc.

Are all hikes well marked?

Do you have any idea's on a nice drive from Cincy to Columbus, OH!

Sorry for the many questions!