We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reds Game

Which Cincinnati hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
SW Illinois
Level Contributor
370 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
Reds Game

My hubby and I are coming in to see a Reds Game on a weekend in July. We'd prefer to stay within walking distance (within 10 blocks or so of the ballpark) ... but we have a budget that may well preclude that ($125/night before taxes). I'm hoping that you all can help us.

Can anyone recommend a hotel that is within approx. 10 blocks of the ballpark? We are obviously from out of town and want to make sure that the hotel is in a safe neighborhood with a safe walk to/from the ballpark.

If we are unable to book a room within walking distance, can someone recommend a location away from the ballpark? Again, we'd like to make sure that the hotel is in a safe neighborhood and the drive to/from the hotel would be a fairly easy one.

Any help that you all can provide would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Marysville, Ohio
Level Contributor
176 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reds Game

There is always Newport, KY (right across river) with a lot of hotels, restaurants, shopping and short taxi ride across river to game. There is the Millenium (sp) hotel in downtown cincy and I believe a Hyatt that is within walking distance to stadium.

Here is the website for the cincy ball park that has a hotel search for near by places:

…stadiumhotelnetwork.com/

Marysville, Ohio
Level Contributor
176 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reds Game

I've stayed at the millenium hotel and it's very nice and would recommend.

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
680 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reds Game

Use a travel search engine like Kayak.com that will give you the distance from various hotels to Great American Ballpark. All (except the downtown Ramada noted below) of the hotels in downtown and in Northern Kentucky that are within walking distance of GABP are in safe areas. That is not to say that crime does not exist but especially in the hubbub of a game day (and other events in mid-July) with thousands of other folks and dozens of police officers walking around in all directions you really needn't be concerned about being robbed or mugged.

The downtown Ramada Inn (I think that's what they call it now) is across the interstate from downtown and would be inconvenient for walking to the game and could be dodgy at night. Another property within walking distance (across the OhioRiver) that I don't recommend is the Travel Lodge in NewportKY (it is not very nice although it is convenient and generally cheap.

Otherwise go for something in your budget that might also have access to public transportation like the Transit Authority of Northern Kentucky's Southbank Shuttle service.

You can always check back here about specific properties on your watch list.

Edited: 10:09 am, April 27, 2011
Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,216 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reds Game

comfort suites in Newport. It's where we stayed. very near Newport on the levee and the aquarium and definitely walkable (across the bridge) to the ball park. No more than a mile in my estimation. We stayed a couple of years ago and the street side room was around $100.

Nothing fancy-- but clean and close enough to walk to the ball park. Felt safe, also-- there will be lots of people walking across the bridge. Have been to the game with my sister also and we parked in the parking lot by the aquarium about a year later. Both times-- felt safe.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4,028 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reds Game

How about the Garfield Suites downtown? That used to be very reasonably priced and is located in a fine location on a baseball night. We attend the Cincinnati Shakespeare Company's productions all sorts of nights just a block from there.

Edited: 7:53 pm, April 27, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4,028 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reds Game

Just saw that Garfield Suites is ranked number 2 of all Cincinnati hotels on tripadvisor. One bedroom suites starting at $104 on the sample weekend in July that I checked. (If you are interested, book quickly because several July weekends already are sold out.)

Definitely easy walking distance to the stadium.

Edited: 7:59 pm, April 27, 2011
Cincinnati
Level Contributor
680 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reds Game

And "ranked" number 1 is the Best Western Mariemont and number 5 the Holiday Inn Easgate . . . meaning the rankings here are a joke.

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
112 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Reds Game

I'll give a vote for either Comfort Suites or Holiday Inn Express in Bellevue (right next to Newport).. If those are a few blocks too far, you can always park on York, just south of 6th in Newport for free... That's just three blocks and a bridge from the stadium. That's where I park for all Reds games...

You might check the Hampton Inn in Covington... not sure of rates, but that will be about 8 blocks, plus a bridge walk away..

Columbus, Ohio
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Reds Game

I need bus transportation from Columbus to Cincinnati for any Cincinnati Reds home game. Do you know of a travel agency who does that?

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
340 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Reds Game

I have never heard of bus transport from Columbus specifically for a reds game. You can check greyhound. The station is within walking distance of the stadium.

To OP - comfort suites in Newport is nice. They have a water taxi from beer sellar/hooters that I think is $5 round trip. It's a fun an unique way to head to a game!