We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

thinking of going to newport aquarium saturday...but ...

Indy
Level Contributor
1,379 posts
145 reviews
Save Topic
thinking of going to newport aquarium saturday...but ...

just read the penguins area is closed until mar 26 major renovation....would it be a total bummer without that part? never been before and was going to take my 10 year old. obviously penguins are a hit typically.

thanks.

trish

Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,521 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: thinking of going to newport aquarium saturday...but ...

It's still an awesome place! There is so much else to do and see. There is a live dive show, 2 different ares where you can "touch" the animals (a few invertebrate touch areas, and then the shark touch tank, which is the coolest). There is also all of the other cool exhibits, like the rainforest aviary where you can hand feed the lorikeet birds. The Penguin area is right at the end of the display path, so really, not a big deal. Try to time yourself so that you can see feedings, etc. I was there 2 weeks ago with my kids, and it still took us 2 hours to go through. If she's a hands on kind of girl, you'll have trouble pulling her away from the shark touch tank!

If you REALLY want to see penguins, give them a call and see if they're still doing the morning penguin parade and/or see if the penguins behind the scenes tour is still available (the latter for an extra cost). Definitely get there early, like when it opens! we went at 3pm last time, and I thought most of the daily crowds would be gone, but things really didn't thin out until right before we were ready to leave.

Indy
Level Contributor
1,379 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: thinking of going to newport aquarium saturday...but ...

we have a shark petting area at our zoo which is cool but we have it so that's not going to be a new and exciting thing.

i'll weigh it out and let her decide. good to know it's more tucked away.

thanks.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
170 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: thinking of going to newport aquarium saturday...but ...

We went to the aquarium a few years ago with a 1 and 3 year old. The pengiuns were definitely the most interesting thing for them (aside from the tank full of "Nemo fish"...clown fish). It's worth checking out, but it seemed a bit expensive to us. The next time we go back, we'll check out the zoo instead.

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: thinking of going to newport aquarium saturday...but ...

I heard the Newport Aquarium advertise the "new penguin exhibit" on the radio this morning. Maybe it's open already. I think it is because they didn't say to come after any specific date. It would be worth checking when you get here.

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
66 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: thinking of going to newport aquarium saturday...but ...

I guess it depends on how into penguins you are! I've never spent more than five or ten minutes in the penguin exhibit myself (and I do love the little buggers), and the rest of the aquarium really is great and can definitely take you several hours to get through.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4,029 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: thinking of going to newport aquarium saturday...but ...

The Cincinnati Enquirer confirmed today in a lovely feature article that the exhibit opens this Saturday, March 26; it was not open to the public last Saturday.

7. Re: thinking of going to newport aquarium saturday...but ...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:15 pm, October 27, 2012