We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quick 1 night trip

Which Cincinnati hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
914 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Quick 1 night trip

We will arrive Cincinnati about 4:00 pm on Tuesday, March 29th. Family of 4 (2 teens) on a whirlwind tour of colleges, looking for a brief taste of Cincinnati.

I want to be in the best area (Riverfront?) for a one night stay where we can park the car when we get to hotel, go to dinner within walking distance or a cab's ride. Budget is not a concern. We will then leave Wed. am to drive to Oxford.

Hotel ideas?

Dinner ideas?

When should we leave hotel to make it to a 10:00 meeting in Oxford (including parking, etc.)

I appreciate any input.

West Chester, Ohio
Level Contributor
775 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quick 1 night trip

Hi. Since you're having to make a 10am meeting in Oxford, I would suggest staying on the OH side so the bridge from KY would be one less thing to deal with in the morning. If you want a Cinci "classic" hotel, then the Netherland Hilton would be one to check out, but be sure to say you want one of their updated, larger rooms. There's also a Hyatt downtown, and the Cincinnatian which would be nice places to stay on the OH side. I'm hoping others chime in too on their suggestions.

For the drive to Oxford, maybe someone else might have a "best" route (not sure if it's I-74 to Colerain/ Rt 27, or up I-75 to the Butler Regional Hgwy, then through Hamilton). To be safe, and because you're driving during rush hour, I would suggest allowing about 2 hrs. We live north of town in West Chester and it takes us a good 45 min with no traffic to get to Oxford. Hopefully, you'll get some more input and can zero in on a best estimate of drive time. By 3/29 the chances of bad weather should be past, so you wouldn't have to take that into consideration.

Good luck! We experienced the college visits a few years ago. Our son is now a Jr at Purdue. BB

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
671 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quick 1 night trip

I second the sound advice above. There is a garage next door to the Netherland or they will park it for you. Plenty of choices with regard to eats in the vicinity although things will be quiet on a Tuesday night. A room on an upper floor there can give nice views or you may wish to opt for the Westin and request a room facing Fountain Square.

Good luck.

Go Cats! Beat Miami!

West Chester, Ohio
Level Contributor
775 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quick 1 night trip

I checked with my husband who is a Miami grad and he confirmed that about 2 hrs is right, if you include finding parking in the equation. Natti is right, the Westin is another good option. Both Miami and UC are good schools and we have friends and relatives at both. On a similar note, I do have to say that I did thoroughly enjoy being at the Purdue vs OSU basket ball game on Sunday :))

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Quick 1 night trip

Thank you both for your recommendations. I will look into these hotels and make sure to give myself 2 hours in the morning.

West Chester, Ohio
Level Contributor
775 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quick 1 night trip

Here's a new hotel which just opened downtown. I believe they are suites so it might be more comfy for a family. BB

marriott.com/hotels/…

6. Re: Quick 1 night trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:19 pm, October 22, 2012