We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riverfest?

Louisville, Ky
Level Contributor
732 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Riverfest?

When trying to find out info on Riverfest, I seem to be getting very mixed signals. I am not finding it on the calender of events for the city. I know that it is held the Sunday before Labor Day. Are there still plans to have it this year?

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Riverfest?

I have not heard mixed signals. I assume everything will go off as usual. At least that's what they seem to be planning for here:

http://www.riverfestcincinnati.com/

Do you have a link on the "very mixed signal" on the "won't happen" end of the spectrum?

Louisville, Ky
Level Contributor
732 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Riverfest?

The part about mixed signals that I am talking about is at CincinnatiUSA.com. When I go to the site, it comes up with a message that says "this event is no longer active or is in the past." But it is also listing some of the past dates, so I wasn't sure what it is talking about. I have never seen this message on this site before. But I do have a couple of questions about Riverfest. We have been several times, and usually stay downtown. It nice being able to just walk down to the fireworks. But we usually go for the whole weekend, and was thinking about staying in the Blue Ash area, because it seems that a lot of the other things that we do are more convenient to this area. Plus, just to do something different. My question, is how much more trouble is it going to be going to the fireworks show? Is finding parking going to be a lot of trouble? I read somewhere that there has been bus service to the event from somewhere in Blue Ash, is that a good option or just more of a mess? Thanks, I appreciate any help possible.

CINCINNATI
Level Contributor
42 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Riverfest?

In years past there was a shuttle bus service from

RAYMOND WALTERS COLLEGE in BLUE ASH

Use it!

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Riverfest?

Well I live right near Blue Ash so I do this (go to Riverfest from here) every year. There is express bus service that leaves from Raymond Walters College near Ronald Reagan Highway and Plainfield Road. You can take that and it will bring you right to the Riverfront. However, it's cheaper (for a whole family) and faster to drive yourself down to the Greyhound Bus station and park there. While the busses and cars that parked close are totally stuck in traffic and mobs of people, I'm walking back to the Greyhound lot faster than the cars. It's fairly easy to get out of the bus station since the I-71 on ramp is right across the street. Even including the time to walk about 1/2 miles, I'm back home before I'd be if I took the bus. The last bus leaves from the college to the Riverfront around 6 p.m. so if you take that you need to be there by 6.

Louisville, Ky
Level Contributor
732 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Riverfest?

Thanks for all of the help. There will be just two of us, so I am not sure which would be the most cost effective. I really don't mind walking a bit, though I am not sure where the Greyhound station is. Convenience is probably the biggest factor. I was considering the shuttle because I am one of those type people who really hates to be caught in backed up traffic. We have a simular fireworks show here for Derby, and I have always avoided going down because I always hear how it takes some people hours to get back home. Considering the mad rush to get back home, how bad are the waits for the shuttles going back to Blue Ash? Is Blue Ash a pretty good area for visitors to stay? We always enjoy doing some antiquing and last year enjoed going up to the Trader's World flea market. Recently, somebody was telling me of a small town on the river, not to far from Cincinnati, that might be of interest. Any ideas on what the town might be? We have always enjoyed towns like Waynesville and Lebanon, anything else simular in the area?

Mentioned in this post
Lebanon
Lebanon
Middle East
Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Riverfest?

Don:

Like I said, I live right near Blue Ash, and I drive down I-71 to the greyhound station rather than take the bus, if that tells you anything. However, if you don't mind spending more time down there both before and after, and would rather avoid all driving hassles because you're unfamiliar with the area, then you can take the bus. Blue Ash is a nice part of town to stay. It has a great many hotels and is basically a business/office park. There are budget hotels all the way up to Embassy Suites with most being mid-range value hotels (such as Hampton Inn), many with free breakfasts. It's a quiet part of town too - most hotels are not too close to the freeways. The majority are up and down Reed Hartmann Highway. It's about 16 miles from downtown and about the same distance from Trader's World. An alternative would be hotels near the Sharon Road exit (#16 I think) such as the Drury Inn or Hilton Garden Inn. This would be more convenient to Traders World. Right near there (next exit south on I-75) is General Electric Aircraft Engines and a Riverfest bus stop is right there in its parking lot.

Louisville, Ky
Level Contributor
732 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Riverfest?

Where is the Grethound station located? Is this a pulic lot near the bus station or the bus station's actual parking lot?

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Riverfest?

Here's the Greyhound station:

http://tinyurl.com/oj8kx9

It's the Gilbert Road Exit off I-71 South just after you crest the hill and see downtown come into view. The exit is about a mile or so north of downtown. The lot is actually at the Greyhound station but it is opened up for public Riverfest parking that evening. It's $7 per car. There are some lots closer but because of the traffic and crowds, the closer, more expensive lots will take you longer to actually get back on the freeway after the event.

Basically take the Gilbert Road Exit (second lane from the right - watch for the "Exit only" yellow sign. The must-exit lane to the right of that is Reading Road but you don't want that - just follow the Gilbert Road Must-Exit and it will take you right by it. Turn just before the building itself, where the people are waving you in. It probably fills up by around 8 p.m. or so. I've arrived at 7 and had plenty of parking available there.

It's about a 15 minute walk to the riverfront. No liquids allowed (they inspect). You can bring in empty water bottles and fill them up at drinking fountains. The drinks are expensive there. I think they jack up the soda machine prices to about either $2.75 or more per bottle.

You might go very early and try to get a spot on the Serpentine Wall. Many of the other places have views obstructed by trees. Or you could go on the Newport flood wall for a seat on a slanted grassy bank with no obstructions. Actually there probably has the best views of the fireworks. Take the first exit after you cross the river on I-471 into Kentucky. Then just head toward the river and look for people waving you in for parking. The Cinci side is no-alcohol. I'm not sure of the Kentucky side's alcohol policy now but it seems like it has a rowdier reputation.

Mentioned in this post
Kentucky
Kentucky
United States
Cincinnati
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Riverfest?

Metro will not be running the Riverfest shuttles this year :(

Mentioned in this post
Metro
Metro
13 Reviews
Cincinnati, OH
10. Re: Riverfest?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 28, 2010