We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

College visit to Whitman

Which Walla Walla hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
1,116 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
College visit to Whitman

Hello all,

Coming for a college visit in April.

Any advice on which airport or hotel? Any good vegetarian eats?

Thank you, m

Issaquah, Washington
Level Contributor
514 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: College visit to Whitman

Of course it's easiest to fly into Walla Walla on Alaska (ALW) but there are only a couple of flights into town per day (and I believe only one flight on Saturdays) so another option is to fly into Tri-Cities (Pasco) airport. It is approximately 45 minutes from Walla Walla. Alaska, Delta Connection, United Express and Allegiant all fly into Pasco. There are more flights available at Pasco so it may work better to drive 45 extra minutes than have a very long layover.

In Walla Walla there are all types of accommodations. What type are you looking for? The Marcus Whitman is a restored hotel in the downtown area of town. It's not far from Whitman. The motels near Whitman aren't nearly as nice.

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,993 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: College visit to Whitman

We spent a long weekend in Walla Walla last June for our granddaughter's graduation from nursing school.

The Marcus Whitman hotel downtown, as mentioned, is probably the nicest choice for lodging. Their restaurant, the Marc, is quite good and includes several menu options that vegetarians would enjoy. Another dinner favorite is Brasserie Four, also downtown, with lots of excellent small plate choices. The five of us sampled quite a cross section of the menu and loved everything.

Besides the Marcus Whitman, there are a number of national brands -- Best Western, Holiday Inn Express, Comfort Inn, Comfort Inn that are all decent choices (clean and comfortable) for a lower price. The town is small enough that even the places that aren't downtown, are still less than a 10-minute drive from just about anywhere in Walla Walla.

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
1,116 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: College visit to Whitman

Thank you for your help.

Do we need to rent a car? Is it possible to take a taxi from the airport and then walk everywhere around the campus?

M

Issaquah, Washington
Level Contributor
514 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: College visit to Whitman

It's possible to get around without a car but I think it would be too much hassle. I've never seen a taxi in Walla Walla that I can think of and I've been there hundreds of times over the course of my entire life. There is public transit but I think a car would give you flexibility and allow you to maximize your time. I've seen the buses around town but I imagine that they don't run late and that there would be plenty of wait time.

There are a couple of rental counters at the airport. I had to rent a car once when my mom was in England and I flew in for a funeral. I used Enterprise and they picked me up at the airport and took me to their office in town. It was very easy.

Since Walla Walla is the new wine country there are many nice restaurants. College Place, a small town next to Walla Walla, is the location of Walla Walla University, a Seventh Day Adventist college. With a large Adventist population in the area there are usually decent vegetarian options at most restaurants.

Andy's Market is a nice grocery store in College Place that is a good place to pick up vegetarian items. Andy's is not open on Saturdays.

I like the Green Spoon restaurant. It's on Main Street and has many vegetarian choices. They make a an excellent lentil based burger in house.

http://greenspoonw201.businesscatalyst.com

I also like Bacon and Eggs. Despite the name, they have a nice variety of vegetarian choices. It's close to the Whitman campus in a former convenience store. The food is interesting and delicious.

You might enjoy Graze. It's a great place for a sandwich with some fun twists. They have good food with several vegetarian choices.

http://www.grazeevents.com

5. Re: College visit to Whitman

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:35 pm, February 27, 2014
Walla Walla...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: College visit to Whitman

Hello!

I am a current Whitman senior, and would love to offer any advice for planning a visit! Whenever my parents have come to visit me, they have always made it a point to stay at Walla Faces. They have grown very fond of this wonderful inn ever since we stumbled upon it when visiting Whitman as a prospective student as well! It's right downtown, only two blocks from campus. It's situated in vegetarian/gourmet heaven, with the delicious Walla Walla Bread Co. across the street, and the Garden Vegan Cafe just right next door.

Downstairs is a chic tasting room, covered in incredible pieces of art work. It's always been the perfect place for them to unwind after a packed day of visiting me on campus. Walla faces has always put my parents at ease, and has been such a relaxing and beautiful backdrop to the many parents weekends over the years! Highly recommended for your visit!

Also, Walla Walla has its own airport you can conveniently fly into. Depending on where you are coming from, there are great connecting flights from Seattle. I'm from the Bay Area, and generally fly Alaska Airlines from Oakland Airport to Seattle, then Seattle to Walla Walla.

Have a wonderful trip! I am sure you'll fall in love with Walla Walla just as much as I have.

7. Re: College visit to Whitman

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 pm, April 21, 2015