We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

any walla walla experts out there?

Which Walla Walla hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
260 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
any walla walla experts out there?

I've been working on plans for a winery trip and we are most interested in scenery and unique settings. I have read that Basel Cellars is recommended and it looks great. Can someone please offer advise on other wineries or restaurants in the Pasco/Walla Walla Spokane areas that are great for the setting? I'm still working on a final itinerary and am open to suggestions. Thank you in advance.

Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Spokane, Chelan
Level Contributor
10,447 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: any walla walla experts out there?

There are some great fun wineries around the state. Go to

www.washingtonwine.org or www.gotastewine.com

I like Arbor Crest it sits on a hill overlooking Spokane Valley but there are many around just take a look and then pick the ones that look fun.

Collie

Edited: 10:58 pm, January 24, 2011
Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Family Travel
Level Contributor
6,077 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: any walla walla experts out there?

I would be happy to help, but a perhaps a little more information?

Are you just doing a day trip or overnight? When are you going? Who is going? Some wineries charge a tasting fee, some do not. There are many, many wineries to choose from, and much depends on personal preference, price point. You just choose what looks good to you and go from there. Same goes with restaurants. Basel Cellars does indeed have a lovely location and has developed their property nicely. I like their wine, but it not my absolute favorite. I take friends to Basel for the location, vistas and experience. Downtown Walla Walla has several very nice tasting rooms, that you can walk to. Not quite the ambience of a winery, but a very good option too.

Walla Walla, WA
Level Contributor
169 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: any walla walla experts out there?

Walla Walla is a great location for scenic and unique winery vacations. Downtown WW has many tasting rooms, also go to wallawallawine.com for more information about wineries in Walla Walla.

Resturants: must try is South Fork Grill (509-522-4777). They have great Northwest food with specials that are inspired by the Chefs Asian culture. Including Sunday night curry night, the chef make curry specials for Sunday night including Curries from South Asia to Japan and he always has a vegetarian curry option.

Other interesting restaurants are Brassier Four, they have amazing Mussels and Frites, Saffron is nice, interesting menu had one amazing meal there and one ok meal.

Some of my favorite wineries are Seven Hills, Walla Walla Vintners, Northstar, Reininger, Cayuse, Waters, Waterbrook and Woodward Canyon.

Walla Walla...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: any walla walla experts out there?

First go to www.wallawalla.org to request a map.

Since you have discovered Basel Cellars, which is considered a Southside winery, while in that area you should cross the highway to PepperBridge, NorthStar, and VaPiano. Their wines are fabulous and the views amazing.

The drive from Pasco to Walla Walla offers several lovely stops. Three Rivers winery is a fabulous place to have a picnic lunch on their patio, it's quite lovely and you can play a small round (3 holes) of golf. Down the road is the Whitman Mission museum a historical attraction and driving back into town on the old highway you should drop in at Skylight Cellars. A boutique winery with some amazing award winning reds.

I wouldn't make a trek to Walla Walla without stopping at the airport wineries, including the incubators. Cameron out at Kontos always has fabulous reds as does Dunham cellars and Buty. You could spend two days out there alone! There is a italian restaurant in the airport that is good, doesn't hold a candle to T. Macs. Note that reservations on weekends are imperative for dinner.

SouthFork Grill is quite good as is Olive and WhiteHouse Crawford. The Marcus Whitman has recently gone through a chef change and I have not been there since. For casual entertainment downtown, Sapolil generally has music and good food, and Vintage Cellars on 2nd has a fabulous selection of wine from everywhere and a nice patio that is heated. Both are great for mingling with the locals.

KB

USA
Level Contributor
5 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: any walla walla experts out there?

Seven Hills Winery owned by Casey and Vicki McClellan. Tremendous wine and two great people.

Paul

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: any walla walla experts out there?

luciasur, it was nice of you to respond but the OP did not have the courtesy to reply to those who helped and, in any event, her post is 2 years old. :)

Level Contributor
260 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: any walla walla experts out there?

Well, Voyaging if you must know, Trip Advisor did not send notices on the responses so I did not know that anyone had posted. . For some reason I did get a response on this most recent post and I still plan on going to Walla Walla at some point. And if you notice, I did thank people in advance for responding for cases like this.

Columbia, Mo.
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: any walla walla experts out there?

Zhuzhu,

2 years and you haven't been yet? Come on girl, what are you waiting for? After our first visit we couldn't even wait 1 year till we went again. After that we went for our 3rd time 2 years later. That's how good the area is.

Pasco: Not many wineries on that side of the river. But if you go there Gordon Brothers (now known as Gordon Estates) is the best. The view from their winery over the Snake River is to die for. You'll need reservations because the winery does not have a formal tasting room but they will accomodate you. It's out in the middle of nowhere. Really yummie wines. However I'd cross the river into Kennewick. There just simply go to one area. Stop off at Targaris, Bernard Griffin, J. Bookwalter (all right in a row), and Goose Ridge. Both Targaris and Bookwalter has great restaurants.

Walla Walla: Wineries with nice sceneries and views are: L'Ecole, Three Rivers, Spring Valley, and Abeja. I'd also recommend any tasting room downtown Walla Walla. Such a great little walking town. As far as restaurants go, there are 2 that are simply the best. Saffron Mediterrian (perhaps the best restaurant I've eating at in Eastern Washington). Small but the real deal. And Whitehouse Crawford which is more glitzy and larger.

And my last tip for you is to make a good week out of wine tasting and include the following wine areas of Eastern Washington. Red Mountain, Prosser, Rattlesnake Hills, Levenworth, and Lake Chelan. These area's are all on par with Walla Walla. The views and scenery of Lake Chelan is the best of the best. Now go book your travel plans NOW.

9. Re: any walla walla experts out there?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:15 pm, April 12, 2014