We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where can I sleep on the beach?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where can I sleep on the beach?

I am staying at a hotel in Waikiki but one night I would love to go and sleep right on the beach. Any ideas? I am open to any part of the island, even if I have to rent a car and drive there? Are there any laws that disallow people to sleep on the beach? Is there a place that has tents available to rent or where we you recommend that I can go and set up sheets, pillows and blanket and not have any concerns of getting robbed or find myself in danger?

Punalu'u
6 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Where can I sleep on the beach?

hah brah you crazy kook. The locals will fo sur jack you.

Waikiki, Hawaii
Level Contributor
983 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Where can I sleep on the beach?

I get these same reactions when I go climbing up a glacier to camp overnight. Thieves in the parking lots, bears and bugs oh my.

We camp out at least once all night. Go somehwere remote on a weeknight. Forget spots that you think are remote on a weekend. They are not.

Dig a steep trench around your camp with a stick, about 8 inches deep. Most crawlies don't like these, and can't get out because it's sand. Use a tent without a fly, the ocean breeze at night is pretty cold after 3 or 4 hours. The most important thing to remember about beach camping is finding out where the high tide mark is!

There's sand fleas in Hawaii? I didn't see any.

Honolulu, HI
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Where can I sleep on the beach?

The only people who sleep on the beach in Waikiki are the homeless. I have a friend who was walking there late one night and tripped over a homeless guy that punched him.

It definitely isn't safe to sleep on the beach in the country side since it gets sketchy after the sun goes down. Lots of unsavories and you would be an easy target. There's also a lot of sand fleas that give you nasty bites.

Get an ocean view room and sleep on your balcony.