We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Duty free prices (stores vs airport)

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
6 posts
Save Topic
Duty free prices (stores vs airport)

I'm looking to buy a new watch while on vacation. Can anyone tell me if the prices at the duty free stores in Honolulu/Waikiki are better, worse or the same as at the airport? Does anyone have any pointers in this area? Anything I should know before purchasing? Is it worthwhile to purchase duty free? Can you tell I don't purchase duty free very often? Thanks for any info you can give me!

Grayson, Georgia
Level Contributor
428 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Duty free prices (stores vs airport)

I don't know about duty-free prices in Honolulu. However, I believe you can only purchase duty-free items if you are entering or leaving the country. If you're traveling within the US, you generally cannot partake in these transactions. At the San Juan (Puerto Rico) airport, signs are posted that you must show proof you're traveling out of the US in order to make purchases in the stores. Someone else may prove me wrong, but this is my understanding.

laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Duty free prices (stores vs airport)

we had this discussion before and the general conclusion was you would get better deals at walmart costco or any other discount store. The duty free shops really cater to japanese tourists if that tells you anything.

san juan,Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
742 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Duty free prices (stores vs airport)

you can buy duty free at the airport in Puerto Rico no matter where you are flying. most people buy rums.

4. Re: Duty free prices (stores vs airport)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:20 am, August 24, 2009