We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Graffiti

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
346 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Graffiti

Hi there!

I was wondering if anyone knows where I can find good graffiti in Honolulu (or anywhere on Oahu)? By graffiti I don't mean quickly done tags, I mean stuff that would be considered as art. My bf is going to be on Oahu in a few weeks and loves good graffiti. He runs an instagram account (@vancitygraffiti) and has a huge appreciation for local art. Are there neighborhoods with murals or nice graffiti I could send him to? A weird request, I know... But it's his thing :)

Thanks in advance!

@
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Graffiti

Kakaako

Check the newspaper and TV news archives for possible articles on other locations.

Northern California...
Level Contributor
1,820 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Graffiti

Here's an article about the art currently up in Kakaako:

newsday.com/travel/graffiti-and-street-art-i…

The bottom of the article has a general direction on where to go to see the murals.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
140 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Graffiti

Graffiti is illegal in Hawaii and should not be promoted in any form. It is a scar on landscape of the beautiful State of Hawaii and a major expense to the government and private owners of property.

Forum members, please do not advertise where graffiti "art' may be found or provide other encouraging information regarding this topic.

Chicago
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Graffiti

Now I want to see some sweet street art as well. Wonder how it compares to a stale grey wall?

Just because something isn't in a museum or gallery doesn't mean it isn't art.

Edited: 10:49 pm, August 29, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,559 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Graffiti

Who is this guy....?

I live in Kakaako, and all of us residents love the wall art.

I have never heard a single complaint, never.

Everyone thinks it's a colorful and cultural upgrade over the raw walls of the industrial buildings which make up the district.

We consider it a sign of the incredible evolution and new life coming to our neighborhood, which has become the focal point for development and change in all of Hawaii.

None of it is "graffiti", not at all.

Every piece has been well-thought out and well-executed.

I walk around my neighborhood every day and very much enjoy the creativity, quality and diversity of expressions.

For heaven's sake, it's not like Prague or some Eastern Block hell-hole.

Fire-fly, send me a PM and I would be honored to show your hubby around my neighborhood and our wall art scene. I enjoy it best in the late afternoons, but not sure if that is the best time for a photo shoot.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,347 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Graffiti

"Graffiti is illegal in Hawaii and should not be promoted in any form."

I totally agree!

"Just because something isn't in a museum or gallery doesn't mean it isn't art."

Grass growing on lawns is great. Grass growing in unwanted areas are weeds!

If it is art, do it where it is allowed.

I won't promote any "weeds"!

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,559 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Graffiti

Dustman, you have been gone too long and don't understand.....

Everyone supports this. It has brought great ambience to Kakaako.

The building owners (including Kam Schools/Bishop Estate) are huge supporters of the effort, and often pay for the work, and tout the pieces in their marketing efforts.

The governmental powers that be also consider it a positive thing and promote the undertakings (as long as it is not an advertisement).

You are forgiven my friend.

But for the rest, just lay off, this is my neighborhood and we enjoy it.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,060 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Graffiti

All those not living here can complain about the tagging going on in my neighborhood but what is happening in Kakaako is completely different. This is way more than your typical grafetti and as amberloo said, sanctioned by those who own the buildings.

This my folks is the HonestScoop. Best to know what you are talking about before spouting off!!

Edited: 11:17 pm, August 29, 2014
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
140 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Graffiti

Whoops...didn't mean to start WWIII or get caught in the cross-hairs but the gal did specify 'graffiti' and it was graffiti to which it was my intent to address. Obviously, commissioned wall art from the likes of Wyland and others of his ilk are excluded.

Carry on.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,347 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Graffiti

"Everyone supports this. It has brought great ambience to Kakaako.

The building owners (including Kam Schools/Bishop Estate) are huge supporters of the effort, and often pay for the work, and tout the pieces in their marketing efforts.

The governmental powers that be also consider it a positive thing and promote the undertakings (as long as it is not an advertisement)."

Then it is not "graffiti".

Definition: unauthorized writing or drawing on a public surface!

If it is condoned by the government & sometimes paid for by businesses, I do believe it is art & not graffiti.

Thanks amberloo! I have been gone for 3 years now & don't keep up with things.

I'm sure there is a better word or phase for "authorized graffiti". I and most others go by the definition of graffiti as "unwanted" and either not condoned or not authorized.

HonestScoop, you didn't start anything. Perhaps you & amberloo have enlightened many of us.

So just semantics of what graffiti is!