We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Outrigger Waikiki On The Beach or Hilton Hawaiian Village

Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Topic
Outrigger Waikiki On The Beach or Hilton Hawaiian Village

Can't decide between these two hotels. It is for a family with 3 teenage children going in January 2007. What are the pros and cons of each hotel? Is it worth getting breakfast included in the package? Would appreciate some advice. Never been to Hawaii before.

Chesterfield, Mich.
Level Contributor
3,673 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Outrigger Waikiki On The Beach or Hilton Hawaiian Village

Whoa SFjoe, both of these hotels are most certainly NOT dumps. I have stayed at the Outrigger on the Beach four times, the first time in 1984 and it had the same name as it did just this past April.

These two places do not change names.

I haven't stayed at the Hilton Hawaiian Village, but I've seen it and it sure is nice. I have never stayed anywhere except the Outrigger while on Oahu. I don't plan to change.

We love this hotel. It has a wonderful location, great beach, not rocky in the water, and everything is nearby that you could want.

We were there is April and the breakfast buffet was about 15.99 per adult. You can certainly check that out by calling the Outrigger and inquiring. Remember, they are several hours earlier than back here....depending on where you are. Part of being in Hawaii is to experience other places to eat. We drove to Kailua twice while we were in Waikiki, to eat at Boots and Kimo......macadamia nut pancakes with mac-nut sauce. I am craving it now!!

Have fun and enjoy your trip to the most wonderful place I know.

pine hill, nj
Level Contributor
297 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Outrigger Waikiki On The Beach or Hilton Hawaiian Village

Stayed at the Outrigger on the Beach in January. I thought the rooms were clean and not out dated, and the staff was nice. No one has mentioned yet that the beach in front of the hotel is small and very crowded. I thouyght that the Hilton had a huge beach. Also, the pool area(there is only 1) fills up fast. If you don't reserve a lounge chair, you'll be lucky to get one at all(even at 8am).Guest will get a lounge chair, put a magazine on it, and then not return all day. I was at the pool all day, everyday, and saw this first hand. On a positive note, it is centrally located, and the Cheesecake Factory is right next door. If you get there for an early dinner3-4pm, you wont have a problem getting a table. I am going to Oahu in October and staying at the Hale Koa for 2 weeks, and am certainly going to get my exercise walking to that part of town. Have fun.

Gilbert, Arizona
Level Contributor
30 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Outrigger Waikiki On The Beach or Hilton Hawaiian Village

stayed in both on one trip for 8 days so for the first 4 days i stayed in the outrigger waikiki the 4 days at HHV and my vote and my teens was the HHV the rooms are bigger and plusher but was more expensive.....trust me the teens will like the HHV much much more its like its own little city with a mall for them to walk around plus the real ala moana mall is right up the street and a theater

NorCal
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Outrigger Waikiki On The Beach or Hilton Hawaiian Village

Ouch SFJoe....that is the most untrue statement about two awesome hotels...I have stayed at the HHV in the Ali'i Tower and enjoyed each and every minute there...and trust me it could not be further from a dump...As far as the Outrigger Waikiki...we are staying there Oct. 20th and can not wait!!!! I have not heard of either changing their names....I will be staying in Dec. in your beautiful city by the bay at the Grand Hyatt on Union Square...hope you don't feel the same about that hotel.....chill Joe! As far as the hotel for teens....without a doubt...Outrigger Waikiki and definetly go on the yellow and red catamaran.....a blast will be had by all !!! Aloha!!!

Utah
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Outrigger Waikiki On The Beach or Hilton Hawaiian Village

We stayed at the Outrigger Waikiki this past April. We also took teenagers (16 & 18). They had a blast, so much to do and everything is so close! We will definately stay there again. Someone gave us the advice of staying on the side of the hotel opposite of the Cheesecake Factory...I guess the fans are pretty loud. That's what I'd recommend also. By the way, our kids fave place to eat was 'Cheeseburger in Paradise'...probably just a 3 or 4 minute walk. Enjoy!

Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Outrigger Waikiki On The Beach or Hilton Hawaiian Village

Thank you so much to everyone for comments and advice. Much appreciated. Have booked Outrigger with a breakfast included. Looking forward to the holiday.

Fremantle, Western...
Level Contributor
681 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Outrigger Waikiki On The Beach or Hilton Hawaiian Village

We just got back from the Hilton and did not like it at all! we were very disappointed. The staff weren't rude, we felt like we were being lined up like cattle, the pool was over crowded, we didn't like the beach much, we could go on and on.

We thought it was just 'us', but we met a Californian couple in the elevators who felt the same way, and asked us where we could suggest they move to.

We didn't stay at the Outrigger, but we did enjoy eating at Dukes and preferred the beaches close by.

Fremantle, Western...
Level Contributor
681 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Outrigger Waikiki On The Beach or Hilton Hawaiian Village

Oops, meant to say the staff WERE rude. The whole place just felt impersonal. I can't understand why people get married there!

Ma.
Level Contributor
140 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Outrigger Waikiki On The Beach or Hilton Hawaiian Village

Ditto! Not a friendly hotel at all. Will be staying at the Outrigger on the Beach during the holidays with teenagers and know they will love it. Duke's is a hot spot for everyone, with great food. HHV is overrated and I stayed in the Ali'i tower also and it was nothing special even though I could see a beautiful view of the beach when I opened my eyes every morning right from the bed. They have no Aloha spirit at this hotel.

20. Re: Outrigger Waikiki On The Beach or Hilton Hawaiian Village

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, August 27, 2009