We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Other than a high rise

Boston...
Level Contributor
83 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Other than a high rise

Hello. I have looked up hotels online in the Honolulu area and only seem to find high-rise style hotels. I am hoping that maybe, somewhere, there's a hotel or resort with perhaps 2-3 floors and with a Polynesian or Hawaiian look. Does such a place exist?

I am making mental comparisons to Walt Disney World's Polynesian Resort for reference, although probably unfairly.

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Level Contributor
279 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: Other than a high rise

Are you still looking for a low rise or just anything affordable now? There are so many affordable places like Aqua Palms, Waikiki Coconut, Ohana East, Luana Waikiki and Shoreline that have to have a competitive rates. None of these places charge hotel fees and get you pretty close to the action. All have pretty good reviews. I had a hard time deciding when I was looking.

Edited: 10:39 pm, July 08, 2014
Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
519 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: Other than a high rise

Ugh - please DONT stay at the Equus!!!

We stayed there for only one night before checking into a condo that we rented from vrbo which was not available for the first night of our stay.

And that one night at the Equus was one too many!

Surly front desk staff. Run down, elevator scary to ride in, dingy, burned out light bulbs everywhere. Our room had a crappy view - right into the building next door. And the shower was so dirty and covered with long hair we refused to use it - hard to believe after a really long day of travelling that one would ever turn down a shower however we felt even after being travel worn and rumpled, we were cleaner than that shower was!

Was the worst place we have ever stayed at in Hawaii!

You would be WAY better off with one of the other recommendations already given. We ourselves are staying at the White Sands when we go back this Nov. It is a low key rather charming little place.

And I have walked through the Breakers and think it is the epitome of what you described what you were looking for! I loved the look of the place but it has never worked out for us reservation wise when we have gone to Oahu, otherwise we would have stayed there up in a flash!

But please don't do the Equus! NO number of points will make up for its poor location lack of ambiance and lack of upkeep and cleanliness.

Boston...
Level Contributor
83 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: Other than a high rise

We're going to cancel the reservation at The Equus.

Right now I'm just keeping an eye out for deals and offers. We've been busy with other stuff and haven't talked about where to stay recently.

I would be happy with The Breakers but I don't have final say. It's not ruled out. My mom just needs to do whatever it is she feels she needs to do in terms of research and then we can book something.

We're alright, we're not leaving for several months. I'm sure we'll have a new place booked before July is over. Thanks for your feedback and concern.

Boston...
Level Contributor
83 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: Other than a high rise

We finally booked all of our nights in Oahu. Our vacation destinations are Sheraton Princess, Turtle Bay Resort, annnnd the Best Western. Thanks for all of your suggestions and especially the warnings. I know from reading reviews that the Sheraton needs refurbishing and it'll start in 2015, after our trip. I think we'll be fine there. Whoo hoo!! Now to work on my list of Hawaii-filmed movies and TV shows.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,048 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: Other than a high rise

Umm ... most of the Princess Kaiulani is scheduled to be DEMOLISHED. It's been delayed year after year for ... three or four years now. Real problems with that property. No doubt it has not been kept up ... and I hear that they bring in a lot of student groups to fill the rooms. There is no way I would stay there. No doubt you got a great price. FYI - it's right next door to the construction on the blocks where the International Market Place (and other buildings) were demolished earlier this year.

Boston...
Level Contributor
83 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: Other than a high rise

Uh oh.

Boston...
Level Contributor
83 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
47. Re: Other than a high rise

What do you guys think about the various Marriotts?

Seattle
Level Contributor
44,197 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
48. Re: Other than a high rise

Which "various Marriotts" exactly are you looking at? You've given up on the wish to not stay in a high rise building?

Boston...
Level Contributor
83 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
49. Re: Other than a high rise

I am still hoping for The Breakers but since I'm not the one paying for the hotel and my mom wants to rack up some points with a chain hotel, I have to be respectful of what she wants.

Earlier today I looked at Courtyard Waikiki Beach and Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort & Spa. She may also like Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club because it has a kitchenette. We're able to book with government discount or AAA rates.

I know The Breakers costs less and has a kitchenette. Hopefully tonight we can sit down together and look at the pluses and minuses of several hotels.

Thanks again for your help, everyone.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,460 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
50. Re: Other than a high rise

The Waikiki Beach Marriott is fine, just try for the front tower.

hawaiirevealed.com/free-travel-info/oahu/oah…

I like the Courtyard too, but the location of the Marriott is much better.

I like Ko'Olina a lot too, but not where I would recommend for someone wanting to tour the typical sights of a first time trip.

Did you look at the other Starwood Hotels (Royal Hawaiian & Moana Surfrider), the Hyatts (Hyatt Regency & Hyatt Place) and the Hilton Hotels (Hawaiian Village & Waikiki Beach).