We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Other than a high rise

Boston...
Level Contributor
83 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Other than a high rise

Hello. I have looked up hotels online in the Honolulu area and only seem to find high-rise style hotels. I am hoping that maybe, somewhere, there's a hotel or resort with perhaps 2-3 floors and with a Polynesian or Hawaiian look. Does such a place exist?

I am making mental comparisons to Walt Disney World's Polynesian Resort for reference, although probably unfairly.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
39,575 posts
1,137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Other than a high rise

Depending on the room booked, the Halekulani might fit the bill, though anything but a budget hotel/resort. There ARE towers, but not all accommodations are in those.

Enjoy,

Hunt

Seattle
Level Contributor
5,109 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Other than a high rise

Yes!

http://www.breakers-hawaii.com

Lovely place. Old school Waikiki feel to it. But definitely not Disneyesque!

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
22,777 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Other than a high rise

Aloha,

Some people like the Breakers for their Aloha Spirit.

http://www.breakers-hawaii.com/

They fill up fast.

Aloha

Boston...
Level Contributor
83 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Other than a high rise

:gasp: The Breakers looks like it just might fit the bill. I love that every room has a kitchenette and I can totally sell this to my mom by telling her they have resident cats. LOL Hey, whatever works, right!

Thank you for the suggestion, Jet83 and AlandRoberta.

Halekulani looks beautiful but is beyond our budget and practicality. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Level Contributor
279 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Other than a high rise

There is also the White Sands Hotel.

Seattle
Level Contributor
5,109 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Other than a high rise

"They fill up fast" - Jet is spot on about that. If you like what you see, do not dawdle!

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,661 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Other than a high rise

You are at least 30 years late on staying in a hotel like the Poly. The old Halekulani and Waikikian were exactly those kinds of properties, but property taxes in Waikiki made them impractical.

The Breakers is the last hold out from that era.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Other than a high rise

A giant step of the ladder in quality and price, but still what you are looking for ... is the Royal Hawaiian Hotel. Built in the 1920s - it is vintage, gorgeous ... and it actually has grounds (tough to find on Waikiki!). Completely restored with modern room amenities. Right on the beach. Classic and historic!

http://www.royal-hawaiian.com

Seattle
Level Contributor
43,341 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Other than a high rise

I hate high rises!!! I've been working for years finding the non-chain, low-rise places to stay.

There used to be The Hawaiian Hotel (sadly closed now). on BeachWalk.

Next door to it is The Breakers and probably the best suggestion.

White Sands Hotel, 3-stories set around a garden/courtyard/pool on Nohonani.

Next door to it is Hawaiian King, used to be hotel, all condos now but many rent out.

The Royal Grove is an old-school place, about 5 stories but really cool, vintage vibe, excellent location closest to the beach or any on this list.

Waikiki Sand Villa, which is 12 floors but an independent hotel not a modern corporate looking place, back by the Ala Wai canal with nice room, good view, large pool area.

Polynesian Plaza recently remodeled also fits the request but faces a busy street.

suze

Edited: 12:11 pm, July 03, 2014
Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,646 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Other than a high rise

Maybe you want another island, or another part of Oahu?