We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe to run on the beaches of Hawaii alone?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
358 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Safe to run on the beaches of Hawaii alone?

Hi there! We are planning our first trip to Hawaii, and I would like to know if it is safe to run on the beaches there alone (I am female). We will be staying in Waikiki, Kailua- Kona, and Lahaina on the Big Island. I'd like to go running some days on the beach in the early morning (7 or 8). I was particularly concerned in Waikiki, as I had heard there is a problem with theft there. There is nothing better than a beach run, so I hope it is safe!

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe to run on the beaches of Hawaii alone?

If you run at 7-8 AM you will not be alon, people walk or run on the beaches in the early morning. People will probably already be on the beaches swimming by that time. Sunrise is around 6 AM and many people, myself among them, get to the beaches by then to greet the dawn, even when the actual sunrise is on the opposite side of the side of the island.

I would take the same precautions you would on a morning run at home and you will be fine.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,375 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe to run on the beaches of Hawaii alone?

Waikiki is fine, but the other beaches, there really isn't enough contiguous beach to run. It isn't FL or CA where a beach can run flat for miles.

At even 6AM on Waikiki there are lots of people already out and about, running, jogging, what ever that there aren't really any concerns.

Dallas
Level Contributor
22,934 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe to run on the beaches of Hawaii alone?

What do you mean by theft?

Do you intend to leave valuables somewhere on the beach and then take a run, or do you mean being stopped and have someone steal something from you while on your run?

I guess I have not heard of anyone being stopped and robbed, but I would not leave my things unattended somewhere on the beach and then take a run.

Seattle
Level Contributor
44,924 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe to run on the beaches of Hawaii alone?

It's fine to run on the beaches. but as others have mentioned already the biggest challenge would be finding a long continuous stretch of sand in some of the places you mention.

Waikiki is probably actually the best as far as one long stretch or smooth sand and always having lots of people around (for safety). As far as theft of property do not leave valuables laying around unattended. I've never heard of people being robbed from their person (likely what you have heard is the warnings not to leave valuables in a rental car?).

suze

Edited: 10:38 am, May 24, 2014
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
358 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safe to run on the beaches of Hawaii alone?

Thanks for the info. I hadn't considered that there would not be a long enough stretch of beach to run on in some areas; good to know. As far as theft, as Suze2you mentioned, I had heard that theft out of my rental car at the beach is almost unavoidable, so I was wondering if this type of crime might be carried to other places/activities on the beach, or throughout the island. I was actually surprised to hear about the prevalence of car break ins at the beach. I guess it can happen anywhere.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
18,414 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safe to run on the beaches of Hawaii alone?

Most tourist-centric places have problems with car break-ins. I've been warned in the Caribbean, Rome (pickpockets there), Hawaii, and here in California. The same admonition will be found on any Hawaiian island. I actually haven't heard that Waikiki had a problem, I thought it was more common at remote, wooded areas in other parts of the island.

I don't hear much about people being accosted on the streets, but I always follow the admonition to stay away from dark streets and alleys and keep to where others are.

My kids are looking forward to running each morning while we are in Waikiki. They'll include Kapiolani Park as well as the beach. While there might be some homeless individuals in the park, they keep to themselves and won't bother runners or walkers, in my experience.

As others have stated, lots of people are up and out at the crack of dawn. Between the time change from the US and the excitement of being there, early mornings will be shared with many.

Ask your question on each island you'll be staying on. Kailua Kona doesn't have long stretches of beach, so those that are more familiar with the area can direct you. Lahaina (Maui) is the "big town" with little beachfront, so you may need to adjust your expectations there as well.

Another good idea is to check out your route on Google earth and street view.

Have a terrific time!

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safe to run on the beaches of Hawaii alone?

It is not true that of theft out of your rental car at the beach is almost unavoidable. It is true that it occurs, but if you devide the number of thefts out of cars by the number of cars at the beach on any one day you will is it is unlikely that any particulate person would experience a theft from their car.

If you take appropriate precautions, like not leaving valuables it plain site and not putting items in the trunk while in the parking lot, your risk of break in will go way down. It safest to leave your valuables at home or take them with you but for the most part your risk is not much higher in HI than it would be in any busy city or tourist destination. If you wouldn't leave in your car at the mall don't leave it in you car at the beach.

When I am in HI I start every day with a dawn beach walk but of course I need less beach because walking is slower than running. I put a small wallet with my credit cards, a couple of twenties, and room key in my pocket and feel perfectly safe. Get a runner's arm or waist wallet for the items you want with you and enjoy your run even if it's down and back a couple of times.

Los Angeles...
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Safe to run on the beaches of Hawaii alone?

Yes.

No, you are not guaranteed to have your car broken into.

Lahaina is on Maui.

Are you in Lahaina or at a condo with a Lahaina address?

There are beaches on Maui where you could run.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,063 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safe to run on the beaches of Hawaii alone?

<< I had heard that theft out of my rental car at the beach is almost unavoidable, <<

Not so. It's truly not that bad. We tend to warn visitors not to leave anything of any value in the car, even in the trunk, mostly because some who don't travel much can be rather naive. And, people often think that nothing bad happens in paradise. It's just a precaution.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,347 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Safe to run on the beaches of Hawaii alone?

Waikiki is about 2 miles long. There is beach almost the entire way with just a couple of short interruptions.

Ala Moana Beach & Magic Island is about 1 1/2 miles with only a couple of short interruptions.

Not a beach, but many run on the sidewalk on Diamond Head Road around the crater & back to Waikiki.