We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worth getting a rental car? Waikiki..

CA, The O.C.
12 posts
Save Topic
Worth getting a rental car? Waikiki..

I'm a college student and on a budget. Having already spent $480 on hotel i was wondering is it worth getting a car to rent? How offen does the bus come by? I plan on going to north shore how will i get there? any bus?

I'm staying in Waikiki so everything pretty close to me where i can walk and still have fun right? or is everything better off by driving? thanks

Best Seller
Turtle Canyon Snorkel Cruise by...
122 reviews
from $96.75*
Best Seller
Oahu Grand Circle Island Day Tour...
667 reviews
from $80.31*
Best Seller
Pearl Harbor Tour From Honolulu
183 reviews
from $46.00*
Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Worth getting a rental car? Waikiki..

sorry to worry you all

so fare I was referring to is NOT the reg Bus Pass

fee of $40.00 BUT

$20 for a four (4) consecutive day pass. Unlimited use visitor pass.

It is available at ABC stores and you will find there are tons.

good eyes cause $40 for a visitor is TOO MUCH

it would be wise to acess this link and save it

http://www.thebus.org

there's even a riders number listed.

Waikiki, Hawaii
Level Contributor
983 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Worth getting a rental car? Waikiki..

Our reason for having a car is going places that we want, when we want. We may be heading home and decide to investigate a place "over there". With the bus, you'd have to get off and walk, then hope to get back on if the adventure didn't work out within a few minutes. With a rental car, a local can tell us about a cool place to visit and off we go. No schedules to watch or care for, no distance is off the route map.

Just my 2 cents worth. I should also add that The Bus drivers are the most courteous people driving a bus that I've ever seen. One stopped in the middle of the street so that we could make a turn. I was stunned, then remembered that we're in Hawaii :-)

TEXAS
Level Contributor
270 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Worth getting a rental car? Waikiki..

Redsox...who are renting from for the convertible for 6 days at $179.00? That is a good rate for a convertible. Does that include taxes? We got a rate of $140 (taxes included) for 7 days, but it wasnt a convertible.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Worth getting a rental car? Waikiki..

Only rent for a day to go to North Shore- Otherwise the bus system is great. Ream my "Good Advice" post that I did when I returned from a trip in November...

Diesel

st pete, fla
Level Contributor
158 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Worth getting a rental car? Waikiki..

i want to explore many places other than north shore so I am renting for the 6 days. I reserved through Budget in January...sorry $179 is base rate it will be around $226 with taxes etc. always wanted to rent one so i figured now is as good a time as any :)

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Worth getting a rental car? Waikiki..

Have you added to your list

Driving up to see the Pali Lookout

and for sure pretty sure getting on the H-3 requires a car.

and if you go KokoHead side (the volcano BEYOND

DiamondHead) and before SeaLife park you can drive to

Hidden Valley ( I know the place but could have name wrong)

have fun

but I still like the yellow Cadillac :-)

Walnut California
Level Contributor
75 posts
1 review
Save Reply
17. Re: Worth getting a rental car? Waikiki..

as you are going downhill toward Honolulu from Pali Lookout, just a few hundred yards check out the road called Nuuanu Rd. (or something like that). Very unique short drive. Very overgrown trees, like driving in a living tunnel. At the end, turn left. You'll see how to get back on the main road.

st pete, fla
Level Contributor
158 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Worth getting a rental car? Waikiki..

this is exactly what I want "driving tours" if you will. there is one in Oahu Revealed that i can't wait to go on....going to take note of everything on here before I go...:)

(I am also weird about freedom I guess...I like to rent a car where ever I go...I love to drive!)