We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels for a great xmas 2014

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Hotels for a great xmas 2014

Hi there

I am wondering if anyone has just spent xmas in Waikiki. I want to bring my 2 daughters 18 & 20 next xmas and would like somewhere very festive. They also love shopping so perhaps shop at dec 26 sales and stay for NYE? Love the look of the Donald Trump hotel but may be a little out of my range or should I splurge.

We live at the beach, so are visiting for things other than just the beach. Girls have never travelled to any part of America.

Would love any suggestions

Thanks, Julie

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,749 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels for a great xmas 2014

The great thing about TA is that just about any question asked has been previously asked. I used the search feature and came up with many answers for you. Chuck.

www.tripadvisor.com/SearchForums…

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels for a great xmas 2014

Hi Chuck

Thanks for your reply, yes I did search the topic, but found many replies were quite a few years old, and didnt mention particular hotels as festive. Post xmas shopping sounds amazing

Julie

Dallas
Level Contributor
23,933 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels for a great xmas 2014

Bonnie - are you going anywhere else in the U.S. besides Hawaii?

Honestly, if the beach is not an attraction for you, I would think there are better places to shop. There is lots of shopping there all right, but it's mostly about the beach and the island sights of more pretty views and beaches.

There are probably many places that you might consider more "festive" as well. Somewhere like New York City first comes to my mind, however that's much farther if you are only planning to go to Hawaii.

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels for a great xmas 2014

Hi there

I have been looking at New York but must admit I am a little nervous about travelling there without a man, and its also 21 hours of flying. But I really want a special holiday for us

Dallas
Level Contributor
23,933 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotels for a great xmas 2014

Oh there are lots of men in New York City !! LOL

I understand the travel time also, and that would sure be something I would have to think about. But, it is probably the center for broadway shows, dining, shopping and particularly NYE which is something I would not consider attending in Times Square, but thousands and thousands do, so it must be an experience.

It would probably be the most festive place in the U.S. and we are Hawaii lovers.

But, if you are willing to travel that far, it's the place to go as far as I am concerned. And I don't think there are safety issues that you need to worry about. My wife knows lots of her friends that travel to NYC by themselves just for the shows and the shopping.

I'm not trying to talk you out of Hawaii, but just think you should give it some thought.

Another place that lots of people might suggest is Las Vegas. Lots to do there as well, but a totally different experience from Hawaii or New York City.

So, I've probably totally confused you, but that was not my intention. Ask if you have any other questions. I would also suggest this would be a good time too look at recent postings on NYC forums on TA as I bet there are lots of discussions recently about where to stay, what to do, what to wear, where to find a man.....etc. since we are in the middle of 2013 holiday season.

Good luck.

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotels for a great xmas 2014

Thanks for your reply and dating advice...lol

I will do some more New York research, but perhaps I could look at NY for xmas and then Hawaii on way home for New Years. The thought of all those people for NYE is a little freaky. What areas do your wifes friends stay in for theatre and shopping?

I will certainly get back to you for more ideas, if thats okay.

Regards, Julie

Dallas
Level Contributor
23,933 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotels for a great xmas 2014

I don't know where they stay in NYC. I'm guessing that forum is full of good advice as well. I agree that Times Square is a total zoo on New Years but many people seem to live to be there.

Sorry I can't give you that, but feel free to ask any questions you might have. Probably should read up on past threads and then ask if you have questions there as well. I'm not sure you will get much input from people here, but you never know.

Maybe do NYC and then back to Vegas for a couple of nights for New Years would be another option. It's a big party there as well.

Good luck !!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
48,584 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotels for a great xmas 2014

You will also want to consider weather for all this. Personally I wouldn't want to spend Christmas in New York or Vegas. Both can be very cold this time of year!!

I think Vegas would only be a big tease for the 18 and 20 year old. Not old enough to gamble but old enough to want to!!

If you are looking for a festive Christmas and New Year's Eve, Waikiki will fit the bill.

Seattle
Level Contributor
46,669 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotels for a great xmas 2014

By "festive" are you looking for a hotel that does Christmas decorations in the lobby? That kind of thing? I'm a little confused as to what you are looking for exactly. Maybe some place like the Modern? since you don't care about the beach.

suze

10. Re: Hotels for a great xmas 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 6:50 pm, December 30, 2013