We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

construction in Honolulu?

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco CA
3 posts
Save Topic
construction in Honolulu?

Hi, I've heard that there's lots going on in the Waikiki area. Has anyone been there recently? Is it any particular section of Waikiki that is under construction? Would you recommend staying at either "end" of Waikiki more so than the other end? Thanks!

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
3,783 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: construction in Honolulu?

the Lewers St Beachwalk end is undergoing a major construction..very messy and noisy. We usually stay at this end but opted to stay closer to the park this time..and we were glad we did.

Washington the State
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: construction in Honolulu?

Its not bad we even stayed in the heart of it by the Royal Hawaiian and it wasn't too bad. What was worse was getting up at 8am and driving down the main street and having to change lanes 50 times to avoid delivery trucks.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
627 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: construction in Honolulu?

I will be at the Outrigger Reef, this August and I dread the construction going on all around the hotel. No one has written a hotel review since June, about the hotel. I guess if there is nothing positive to say, then say nothing. We will be driving around there.

laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: construction in Honolulu?

when we were waikiki in june it looked like half the reef was closed for room renovation so that night be the reason for lack of posts, maybe you get lucky and get an upgraded room.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
627 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: construction in Honolulu?

Because one tower is closed, there are No rooms available. They are booked solid. There is also a convention in town, that week. I did just find a new review for the hotel and she had no problems and was very positive.

Lancaster, Ohio
Level Contributor
455 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: construction in Honolulu?

I am staying at the Reef in November and I wish I would of known of all of the reconstruction that is going to be going on before I bought my package. Besides the Ocean Tower being renovated, the lobby and all of that area is due to be remodeled beginning September 1st. I am wondering how that will affect staying there also (besides all of the construction going on near the Reef).

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
627 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: construction in Honolulu?

How did you find out about all the disruptions? Did your TA tell you? I do not think my TA knew about. I found out on the forums and told her about it. At least the lobby will be intact when I am there. (Hopefully they will stick to Sep. 1st, to begin it.) Don't be too bummed, I hear that Honolulu has construction all over the place.

Lancaster, Ohio
Level Contributor
455 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: construction in Honolulu?

My TA didn't tell me about it. I actually found out about it while checking out the Outrigger Reef homepage. I figure it won't bother me too much since I don't plan on being at the hotel during the day anyways. I look at it like the rest of the construction around Waikiki, a minor pain in the butt, but I will be in Hawaii and construction and remodelling is not going to ruin my vacation.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
627 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: construction in Honolulu?

Exactly how I feel. The hotel is for a shower and sleeping. Honolulu is for sun, fun and beach!!

Portland
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: construction in Honolulu?

Does anyone know how extensive the remodel plan is for the lobby of the Outrigger Reef? The Aloha lounge and Chiefs Hut is my "happy place" and I hate to see it change too much. Any idea if I'll get a good straight answer if I call the hotel directly?