We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone used Firefly car rental at Honolulu airport?

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
85 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Anyone used Firefly car rental at Honolulu airport?

It's significantly less than other rentals. Says offsite.

1) How far/long is the shuttle?

2) Are they reputable? FMU, it's the old Advantage via Hertz.

Thanks.

Camarillo...
Level Contributor
1,141 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Anyone used Firefly car rental at Honolulu airport?

Is it just me? Or does anyone remember paying over $70/day on a minivan on Oahu? We were there in the summer of 2012, and I ended up using Priceline and had to bid as high as $70/day for a minivan. Now, I am pleasantly surprised that the rate looks like it has gone down.

I, too, am thinking of booking using Firefly. We'll be on Oahu for 9-10 days, and the rates are cheaper.

I agree with someone's earlier post regarding booking and using their AMEX. I plan on using my AMEX or Discover. A year ago, I had an unfortunate accident during my vacation (just windshield damage) no one got hurt. Since I rented using my AMEX. I am fully insured, and rented via one of the more common rentals (Avis, I think). After the accident occurred, AMEX stepped in and told me not to worry and that the whole incident will go through them and not my insurance company.

Reason, why I brought that up, not that I'm expecting an accident while on vacation, but will definitely use my AMEX or Discover (they have a similar coverage that they extend when you use their credit card for the transaction).

If anyone has any new info on Firefly, please share :-) Thanks!!!

Austin, Texas
1 post
Save Reply
12. Re: Anyone used Firefly car rental at Honolulu airport?

Thanks, I just checked them out and they booked my car through Alamo and I saved $100 off Firefly and almost $500 off Orbitz! 11 days for $332 (including taxes) I'll take it!

Walkersville, MD
Level Contributor
1 post
18 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Anyone used Firefly car rental at Honolulu airport?

Thanks for the info, I'm heading there next week. I called Firefly to check them out and they told me that if you are AAA members, they waiver the additional driver fee.

Dunkirk, Maryland
Level Contributor
1 post
20 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Anyone used Firefly car rental at Honolulu airport?

I'm glad I read your post. Car Rental Hawaii's quote was almost 50% off compared to regular rental car places. I was about to use Firefly too :-)

Mineola, New York
Level Contributor
6,407 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Anyone used Firefly car rental at Honolulu airport?

Was not impressed last January by Hertz at HLN, so the fact it's part of Hertz is no great positive for me.

Knotts Island...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Anyone used Firefly car rental at Honolulu airport?

Just got back from hawaii and used firefly. I was hesitant because I paid 188 for 14 days. I was supposed to get a toyota corolla equivalent well they gave me an upgrade Nissan Altima instead. It was a 2014 with less than 4,000 miles on it. Great Car! I couldn't have been happier. Check in took about 10 minutes and return the same. There were no hidden charged. I did decline the extra driver (15/day more) and insurance. Your insurance should cover you just check ahead of time. Besides I used Discover Card which gives 25,000 free coverage on a rental. Couldn't have been happier. Use them you won't be disappointed. It would have been over $900 for the same anywhere else. Can't beat it!

1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Anyone used Firefly car rental at Honolulu airport?

We rented a van, which still was ex pensive! However, the van picked us up at the airport w/o calling within 15 minutes and the office was cordial and efficient. No problems! Good luck!

Los Angeles...
1 post
Save Reply
18. Re: Anyone used Firefly car rental at Honolulu airport?

Thank you Kim C for the recommendation to carrentalhawaii. I was going to faint from the prices on Hotwire & Priceline which usually give me competitive rates. Came across Firefly which I hadn't heard of and landed at this forum. I was feeling very discouraged until I saw your post re: carrentalhawaii and am now booking through them.

Anaheim, California
1 post
Save Reply
19. Re: Anyone used Firefly car rental at Honolulu airport?

We booked with Firefly Honolulu Aug 12-19. They have the worst service! We waited for the shuttle for over 30min, then when we got to the location we waited another hour to be helped. There was only 2 agents inside and they were both helping customers and one person in front of me waiting. When it was finally my turn the customer before came back in because he was given a faulty navigation system. Her response to him was that they had 3 more navigation systems but she wasn't sure if they worked because they were not charged. So he came in about 2-3 times for help while trying to assist me. Keep in mind i'm wanting to get out of there because i had 3 hungry kids with me. So she hands me the keys doesn't walk out to check the car to see if it has dents or give us a paper to notate dents. We leave and as I'm driving away I notice that the windows had a bunch of water spots, the interior handle for the door looks dirty and the where you shift your gears had crumbs. That will be my first and last time renting from them. i guess you get what you pay for

Edited: 4:59 pm, August 20, 2014
Level Contributor
3 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Anyone used Firefly car rental at Honolulu airport?

I had this same question before my trip to Honolulu. I used firefly and I can recommend it.

It is a newer discount car rental. If you go with the major brand names, yes you can get frequent shuttles from the airport to the rental agency, and you can get rapid check in and check out times at the rental office. If you are willing to wait an extra 5 to 10 minutes for the shuttle and wait up to 30 minutes to get get your car at the counter and to drop it off, going with Firefly will save over 50%.

We used it. I was pleasantly surprised to get a Nissan Altima when I was expecting a subcompact. It cost me less than $200 for 6 days. Some postings say the cars are dirty, but if they've been parked outside for a day, there will be a little dust because Oahu is a sandy place and there is rain.

I would recommend Firefly.