We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brisbane to Hawaii flying Hawaiin airlines

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
1 post
Save Topic
Brisbane to Hawaii flying Hawaiin airlines

I have heard conflicting messages about the quality of the flight from Brisbane to Hawaii - does anyone have any comments on this flight? Some people seem to think they are great others not. Any hints on how to make a long haul flight more comfortable would be good!

Mackay, Australia
Level Contributor
89 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Brisbane to Hawaii flying Hawaiin airlines

We are travelling BNE-HNL with Hawaiian in January - found the advice and info on the flight from all above very helpful for our trip - especially the details from Dimarie, good insight of what will be the go. Can I ask a question about the iPad devices you can hire - do you do this prior to boarding, or do you have to wait until boarded. Do they have enough to go around?

Edited: 10:03 am, October 01, 2013
Townsville...
Level Contributor
957 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Brisbane to Hawaii flying Hawaiin airlines

They bring the iPads around once airborne and the seatbelt sign goes off. They start distributing from the front of economy. They did not run out on our flights but I have heard that it does happen.

South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
2,383 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Brisbane to Hawaii flying Hawaiin airlines

Ok, I'm going to tell you something I should probably just keep to myself, and I am hopeful we can all discuss it rationally and reasonably without causing a ruckus. :)

Thus far on all my Hawaii flights, I have not had a lot of success sleeping, even though all of them were made in the Starclass cabin where I was a lot more comfortable than I would have been in economy which is where we will be next trip.

I spoke to my pharmacist about this - he has been my pharmacist for some years now and knows me probably as well as my doctor does. It is a small town here, and he is a smart guy, always remembers my name and can tell you what scripts I have had without needing to look anything up. In some ways that is slightly scary yes, but it is his job.

Anyway, I was in there buying up all the stuff I needed for our trip - I need to make up a new travel light medical kit for the other half as well as a travel not so light one for the suitcase (will link to a post on my blog re this at the bottom of this post) and I asked if there was anything over the counter I could take which would make me a bit tired for the flight so I can get some sleep.

He recommended Restavit, which is actually an antihistamine, not a sleeping tablet. I've taken it before without even knowing it, because the active ingredient is in a lot of the night time cold and flu tablets.

mydr.com.au/medicines/cmis/restavit-tablets

He told me to try it out beforehand and make sure it works and I do not have any weird side effects. I've done that this past week when I was having trouble sleeping, and it worked fine. It did not have any carryover effect into the next day which was great.

I am of course not recommending anyone else try this without speaking to their doctor or if your pharmacist knows you as well as mine does, then you could talk to them. It is an over the counter medication so you would need to speak to the pharmacist in any case. And you should of course read all about the side effects. *And* try it before you go to make sure it works for you.

If you do plan to sleep on the plane with or without assistance I do recommend as NWF suggested, using the compression socks.

Anyway I do not know if I will use it on the next flight - it would be nice to arrive fully rested which I have not managed once yet - but I will be adding it to the travel light medical kit which I created so you can have pretty much one of everything you might need in a small thing to carry. I have a link to that post for you here -

…wordpress.com/2013/…

Bisbane
Level Contributor
17 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Brisbane to Hawaii flying Hawaiin airlines

I had read somewhere on Trip Advisor that HA don't provide blankets- or that they charge you which was really worrying me but I am so relieved that this has been cleared up! looking forward to flying in April, thanks everyone for the great advice

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
235 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Brisbane to Hawaii flying Hawaiin airlines

We flew from Sydney, and everything is provided on the flight- blankets (we actually asked for an additional one as well), pillow, headphones, meals.

From Sydney they are flight brand new Airbus A330 planes which are amazing. Much larger seats and in-flight entertainment in back of seats. There are also USB ports in every chair for charging gadgets.

Food was very good in my opinion for airplane food, but do bring a few snacks as there is a big gap between the supper you are server when you get on and then the breakfast before you land.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
402 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Brisbane to Hawaii flying Hawaiin airlines

In addition with Beedoo's comments, if you try Restavit, start with half a tablet, especially if susceptible to antihistamines. A fellow midwife took 2 tabs once and slept for about 3 days. Beedoo's suggestion of trying them out before you leave is spot-on.

17. Re: Brisbane to Hawaii flying Hawaiin airlines

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, February 20, 2015