We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Area to Stay for Mid-November Trip

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego...
Level Contributor
114 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Area to Stay for Mid-November Trip

Hello!

My boyfriend and I have booked a flight mid November (11/14-11/18) and was wondering weather wise, what area would be the best area to stay in? I would assume the leeward and north side? We definitely want to do the stairway to heaven hike, snorkel (maybe snuba), and eat, eat and eat! This is our first time and would love a pretty central area. We plan on renting scooters (maybe a car) as well to explore so that we're not limited to an area. But I'd love to stay in an area where there's easy access to beautiful scenery and water.

Thank you in advance! :)

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,342 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Area to Stay for Mid-November Trip

The north shore is already getting large surf and only will get larger as the time towards winter progresses. We generally don't snorkel up there (the best place on the island) after the 1st of October. There could be a day or two when it's small, you just have to keep your eye on the surf report.

Rent a car, the scooters are death traps and you won't be able to take them to a lot of places.

The Stairway to Heaven is off limits. The trail head is gated, locked and guarded.

Weather wise, yes, leeward is generally best, most accommodations located in Waikiki.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
114 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Area to Stay for Mid-November Trip

Thank you so much for the input! That helps a lot. Looks like we'll be staying towards Waikiki and make out way up (by car not scooter). Thank you again!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
114 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Area to Stay for Mid-November Trip

Has stairway to heaven always off limits??

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,342 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Area to Stay for Mid-November Trip

No it hasn't been off limits all the time but has been in the recent past. There is a fight going on over who owns the land and who will pay the 1,000,000 liability insurance policy it will take for it to open.

Seattle
Level Contributor
42,651 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Area to Stay for Mid-November Trip

Most people stay in Waikiki, that's the most central area, and the only one gest fits what you describe (regardless of the time of year or the weather).

suze

San Diego...
Level Contributor
114 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Area to Stay for Mid-November Trip

Oh boo! That was #1 on my list. Thanks for the heads up

San Diego...
Level Contributor
114 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Area to Stay for Mid-November Trip

Thank you Suze!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
114 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Area to Stay for Mid-November Trip

Would anyone consider it pretty crowded in Waikiki? If so, is there another location that might be less crowded yet just as pretty and nice?

Seattle
Level Contributor
42,651 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Area to Stay for Mid-November Trip

Yes, pretty much everyone would consider it "crowded" in Waikiki (lol)!! Honolulu is a major city.

You can stay other places around Oahu certainly, but Waikiki it where almost all the hotels, restaurants, shops, etc. are located. Plus of course world-famous Waikiki Beach. Most of the rest of the island is more residential or not populated areas.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
114 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Area to Stay for Mid-November Trip

Great! Thank you so much!