We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping in cash or add to credit card?

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Zealand
Level Contributor
292 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping in cash or add to credit card?

Yes I know there hundreds of threads on tipping and I have read many many of them - phew :-)

Just a question though -

We will often pay by credit card for our dinner and drinks at the end of the night, but I wondered if the staff have a preference as to how they receive the tips - ie. add 15-20% onto the credit card and sign OR pay the actual amount of the bill by credit card and leave a cash tip. Any thoughts?

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
603 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Tipping in cash or add to credit card?

As a server I don't care if it cash or C/C I still get it in the end. Each place handles it differently there is no set amount the servers share. We share with kitchen, bar, host and busboys. We pay out 1% of our sales to each so a total of 4% of sales not tips. If we don't get tipped we still have to pay. We get the full amount left on C/C but I know some places deduct the amount the C/C company charges the restaurant.

We get out C/C tips usually within 2-3 days.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,543 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Tipping in cash or add to credit card?

i would say, just tip. fact is, tips will come in cash and they'll come in credit and it's really just a tossup ...

As far as how to tip ... yes technically tipping is on the pretax amount. DH always pays attention to this ... I don't. If the bill is $35.00 total, I'll generally tip between $6 and $7 (assuming a sitdown restaurant where I am being served.) If service is acceptable -- 15% rounded up to the nearest half dollar is generally my standard. very good, 20% rounded up to the nearest half dollar. Outstanding -- just depends. I might tip $3 or $4 on a $10 check ... every once in a while someone really goes above and beyond and I want to do the same for them.

Seattle
Level Contributor
42,186 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Tipping in cash or add to credit card?

Cash is nice if you happen to have it, but tipping on the credit card is just fine too.

suze

Perth
Level Contributor
127 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Tipping in cash or add to credit card?

Thankyou, especially kitap, I don't want to do the wrong thing!

Seattle
Level Contributor
42,186 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Tipping in cash or add to credit card?

Especially if you are using 15% as your figure (not 20%) then yes I would round up to the nearest dollar.

suze

26. Re: Tipping in cash or add to credit card?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, September 06, 2014