We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

one day car rental

Hampton, New...
Level Contributor
19 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
one day car rental

Want to rent a car just for 1 day while staying in Waikiki. Any suggestions or advice. Don't want to rent it from the airport when we arrive. Might want to rent for the last full day before we leave on the following day.

Dallas
Level Contributor
22,636 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: one day car rental

You can rent from several places right in the Waikiki Beach area. No need to return to the airport.

houston
Level Contributor
89 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: one day car rental

I booked mine through Discount Hawaii car rental website and get the cheapest rate compared to anywhere else. I stayed at Outrigger Reef on the beach for 4 days and rented a car for 2 days at Thrifty Waikiki, which is just 15 mins walk from the hotel. I pay about $80 total for 2 days, all tax and fees included. I picked up the car early in the morning and return the night before the end of the two days rental to avoid one valet overnight parking. They open from 7 am to 8 pm.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
221 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: one day car rental

I agree with unknown, we did the same thing without a problem, just get to the Thrifty early because they do get a line after 9:30 am

California
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: one day car rental

1. Research locations. A number of car-rental agencies have offices right in Waikiki, but you don't want to walk to Enterprise from the New Otani hotel. If you tell us where you're staying we can tell you about the agencies we know of nearby. Good choices toward the Ft. DeRussy Park side include Thrifty on Kalakaua Ave. Good choices in the Moana Surfrider area include Budget in the Hyatt Regency.

2. Research office hours. This is important for a one-day rental. If you get a car from Alamo in Waikiki, I'm pretty sure you have to return it by 5 p.m. to avoid paying for parking at your hotel. But if you book from Thrifty or Budget, you have till like 8 or 9 p.m.

3. Book in advance (after comparing prices online). I, too, recently had a good experience with Discount Hawaii Car Rentals.

4. Know this: If you starting thinking, "Hey, why not save myself some cab fare and just return the car to the airport?" most car rental companies charge a fee of anywhere from $40 to $75 (called a "one way" fee at some) for this privelege. Added to hotel parking, this usally makes it cheaper to return the car the night before and take a cab!

5. Check prices repeatedly. They change often. And, yes, if you book at X dollars a day and see it cheaper a week later, you can usually rebook at the cheaper rate.

Edited: 8:12 pm, July 18, 2013
Hampton, New...
Level Contributor
19 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: one day car rental

Thank you for all the replies, good info.

6. Re: one day car rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, July 21, 2014