We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Entry into United States

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
344 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Entry into United States

Hi All

I am a Chinese (holding Taiwanese passport) living in Taipei, Taiwan, and I have just purchased return airfare with Hawaiian Airlines to fly from Taipei to Las Vegas, connecting in Honolulu.

The question I have is do I clear US Customs in Honolulu or Las Vegas on the way to and back? The natural answer I suppose is Honolulu because that is the place of entry/exit into USA, but I thought I would check with the experts here.

I know I should check directly with TSA or US Customs about this, but honestly I get so dizzy when I read on the official government sites and I never seem to be able to find the answer I am looking for. This couples with my "less-than-perfect" English conversation skills, I decided to ask the question here first.

P.S. I tried calling Hawaiian Airlines, but they told me they are not sure because my final destination is Las Vegas so I should check directly with "related government agency", I couldn't believe it when I heard that answer.

If you have any idea about this or can point me in the right direction, I would very much appreciate it, thank you all in advance!

St. Paul, MN
Level Contributor
991 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Entry into United States

Any time I have taken an international flight, I've had to clear customs at the point of entry into the U.S.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,569 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Entry into United States

If you have a connection you should clear in your point of entry because the connection will be considered a domestic flight.

Lahaina, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Entry into United States

Ni hao ma! You will clear customs in Honolulu. Aloha!

Colorado
Level Contributor
3,557 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Entry into United States

You will go thru Immigration and Customs in Honolulu on your trip to Las Vegas, and on your return you will clear in Taipei. Nothing necessary when leaving the U.S.

Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
344 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Entry into United States

Thank you all for the responses, I feel pretty sure now!

cruzncouple : are you sure I do not need to clear US Immigration and Customs in Honolulu on my way back? I know for sure when I arrive Taipei I will need to clear Taiwanese Customs.

Lahaina, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Entry into United States

Now when Mrs k. And I depart HNL to Asia, sometimes there are Customs Officials at the departure gate checking passports along with the Hawaiian gate agents checking passports; but it is nothing at all like on arrival.

Lahaina, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Entry into United States

Yeah, our Governor Neil Abercrombie was on the inaugural HA flight to TPE and recently signed legislation streamlining the visa process, so tell your friends!

Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
344 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Entry into United States

Kaukau - Thanks for the verification!! And you know what? It is because the new visa process, which means no more formal visa application, a lot of Taiwanese are planning to visit the States now.

And because of that, Hawaiian Airlines opened the direct route between Taipei and Honolulu. AND because of this and the directly flight between HNL and LAS, I was able to convince my wife to take an extra vacation to V-E-G-A-S!!

Just thinking about going to Vegas again gives me the goosebumps, oh how I loved the sin city.

See you back on Vegas forum when I see you, thanks again!

9. Re: Entry into United States

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, July 18, 2014