We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honolulu 1954

palm springs
Level Contributor
1,060 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Honolulu 1954

I ran across this interesting video of Honolulu back in 1954...thought it would be of interest to all you Honolulu fans.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zowXjuGwpQ

Seattle
Level Contributor
5,112 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honolulu 1954

Thx for posting that! A real gem!!

Dallas
Level Contributor
21,856 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honolulu 1954

Yes, thanks for posting that. It was really fun to see how things looked back then. Wish I had started to go over there sooner, but my wife didn't drag me the first time until 1984, and she's dragged me back kicking and screaming about 30 times since then.

Thanks and aloha

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,668 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Honolulu 1954

Thanks, it was nice.

Hana, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,877 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Honolulu 1954

That was real cool! Did you see that one picture "Honolulu without skyscrapers".

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,403 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honolulu 1954

Can anyone tell us more about the Manapua Man or trucks.

Am sure there must be some good stories out there?

Australia
Level Contributor
1,423 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honolulu 1954

Fantastic. A lot different now, wish i had seen the place back then (but it was before i was born, dont wont anyone thinking i am that old).

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,682 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honolulu 1954

A while back someone posted these starting in the 1940's.....there's a quite a few - check out the length of the lei and how full at about 2:45....Love it....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD5bKdFBHYE

3Chihuahuas

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Honolulu 1954

Thank you!

London
Level Contributor
35 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Honolulu 1954

Fantastic - amazing some is still recognisable.

Thanks

Texas
Level Contributor
815 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Honolulu 1954

I spent three weeks there with my parents in 1959 during the time of the celebration of Hawaii's becoming a state. We stayed on Kuhio, in a brand new fourth-story penthouse apartment, behind what was the Waikiki Biltmore (what is now rebuilt and is the Hyatt Regency). I slept out on the big porch and the birds awakened me each morning.

We sailed from Los Angeles over on the Lurline "cruise" ship--dressed for dinner, etc. Didn't have the stabilizers which would have been helpful across the Pacific. We left at 4:00 p. and arrived the fifth morning at 10:00 a. at Aloha Tower.

The Princess Kailulani was there in Waikiki, and two separate hotels the Surfrider and the Moana, which are now connected with a breezeway. The Outrigger Canoe Club was on Waikiki Beach where the Outrigger Waikiki Hotel is now, and there actually was a huge beach! Then next to that was the Royal Hawaiian and the old Halekulani.

The International Marketplace opened during the three weeks we were there, and it was delightful. Plantation style, two-story, white, open air down the middle. Delicious Snack Shop restaurant on the Royal Hawaiian grounds where we got real coconut cream pie (with whipped cream on top, not merangue!).

We took the public bus around the entire island, cost $1 each. There was a big statehood parade and celebration down Kalakaua Ave.

Waikiki was beautiful, uncrowded and just so much fun. Great memories!

Thanks for sharing the video.