We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hawaiian Miles

Australia
Level Contributor
1,590 posts
123 reviews
Save Topic
Hawaiian Miles

Husband posted this on the airlines forum but got no replies. So thought i would repost here.

Thanks for any info or advise.

Family of five flew Hawaiian Airlines in 2011.

Plan to fly with them again next year and have just realised that between us with the Hawaiian Miles we accumulated last time there are enough combined miles to pay for 1 airfare.

Problem is they are all on individual accounts and it would appear that you have to have an Hawaiian Credit Card in order to share the miles and combine them to one account.

I rang hawaiian miles but would have been on hold too long for a call to the US.

Other than having to apply for the hawaiian credit card has anyone been successful in combining hawaiian miles into one account any other way.

laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,431 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hawaiian Miles

There is usually a charge. But if you get a credit card you get like 35000 miles

Canada
Level Contributor
9,450 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hawaiian Miles

Airline miles are,primarily an "individual" thing. One person accumulates them....and then uses them, either for themself...or "purchases" a ticket for another.

The process of scraping together miles from various accounts is not usually allowed, and if so, there are fees assessed for each account holder to make the venture ill advised.....and costly.

I would still recommend contacting Hawaiian Airlines directly as best practice. They do seem to have a Toll free number from Oz.( the times on hold are never what they estimate....)

hawaiianairlines.com/aboutus/…

An email would work as well.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
46,115 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hawaiian Miles

hawaiianairlines.com/HawaiianMiles/share-mil…

In digging deeper, it looks like anyone can give miles, but only a credit card holder can receive miles.

hawaiianairlines.com/hawaiianmiles/pages/ter…

This used to be simpler when you could move miles once a year.

I don't think your odds are good. But I also wonder that - with Hawaiian Airlines flying Down Under and also to Asia ... that these policies could/should be changed.

Mentioned in this post
Asia
Asia
World
California
Level Contributor
573 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hawaiian Miles

I don't fly Hawaiian any longer, but when i did I was able to transfer spouse's miles to my card for a small fee. I'm thinking the fee was under $10 and I had to use an agent. I had the Hawaiian miles credit card but he didn't.

No California
Level Contributor
243 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hawaiian Miles

I've held a BofA Hawaiian Miles card for many years. And I have transferred miles from lots of different accounts over the years (mothers, fathers, husband and friends accounts). The most recent transaction was less than 2 months ago, and from my moms account over to mine. It's very easy to do, can be done from their web site, and the miles post if not in real time, then very quickly. However, I don't ever recall paying a fee to transfer miles. I know we pay a fee to move miles from AMEX to HA, but I don't ever recall paying to move miles from one HA account to another.

As was previously posted, you do need to have the credit card to receive miles. And unfortunately I do believe Hawaiian is undergoing some changes with how they handle their credit card accounts and what banks they use. It's my understanding the 35,000 mile sign up bonus has gone away. Hope this works for you.

Oh, another great thing about HA is that you can use miles for one way, and pay dollars for the return. That's very helpful if you don't have the miles for a round trip. And often, the cost of 2 one way trips is not greater than a round trip. So that too is helpful.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
46,115 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hawaiian Miles

<<Oh, another great thing about HA is that you can use miles for one way, and pay dollars for the return. That's very helpful if you don't have the miles for a round trip. And often, the cost of 2 one way trips is not greater than a round trip. So that too is helpful.>>

And if you are short on miles, you can buy some to make up the difference. Not always a good deal, but great for tight pinches.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
163 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hawaiian Miles

You won't be able to accumulate or transfer your individual miles. As mentioned, only miles accumulated on an Hawaiian Miles credit card can be transferred to another member. These would only be miles accumulated from spending on the credit card not flight miles.

As an Australian is isn't possible to obtain an Hawaiian Miles credit card through the Bank of Hawaii or any other bank which issues these cards as you need a Social Security number and a US address. The same for any other US credit card be it with Hawaiian or a store credit card. We get offered these all the time but decline as we don't have the required Social Security number notwithstanding we have a bank account with Bank of Hawaii. You don't need the social security number to open a bank account. With the BOH account you can get an Hawaiian Airlines debit card but not a credit card. This get you points but not as many as a HA credit card.

Even if you could obtain the HA credit card you would need to spend a lot of dollars to have sufficient for a flight then you would also need the ability to pay the monthly statement in US dollars.

Another point is that BOH has stopped taking new HA credit card applications for the time being while they review their arrangements.

Unfortunately the only way you can accumulate miles is though flight miles.

Colorado
Level Contributor
4,168 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hawaiian Miles

I transfer miles from my husband every year after our annual trip to Oahu. I always understood that miles could only be transferred to a credit card holder's account. Think it is stated that way on HA website,

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
California
Level Contributor
573 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hawaiian Miles

Kentstreet, Both parties do not need to have the credit card to transfer miles, just the party receiving the miles.

I just checked on the Hawaiian Air web site. If one party has air miles and they want to give them to a family member or friend who has a Hawaiian Air Visa, then they can do so free of charge.

South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
2,641 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hawaiian Miles

I wonder if one of the things they will be reviewing is the need for a social security number - because they are missing out on Aussie customers. I absolutely would sign up for one if I could earn Hawaiian miles on everything I bought. In fact, I would use only that card to purchase things, like a lot of people do with credit cards hooked up to their frequent flier miles.

See I did seriously ponder calling them a few months ago and asking if there might have been a way to apply for this card for overseas people like myself - I never did call. I should have - maybe there was a way.

Bakermob - do you have Skype at all? It lets you call toll free numbers in the US for free, from your computer. All you need is a headset with a microphone, and the software. :)