We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hawaii cruise excursions

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
ky
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Hawaii cruise excursions

My family (all adults) plan on taking a Hawaiian cruise next January and would love some advice on the best excursions and places to see. We will be hitting the four island. Any advice?

Colorado
Level Contributor
3,474 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hawaii cruise excursions

This si something better addressed on

Www,cruisecritic.com

California
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hawaii cruise excursions

Why are you cruising instead of doing a land-based trip? Many, many people in here feel that cruising is not a good way to experience Hawaii. I'm one of them. Cruising has its own feel -- buffet lines and trivia contests and stage shows. You might as well be in Cozumel.

The best thing about Hawaii is the *feel* of the place. It has its own magic, and it's about being immersed in it.

The most common way to really enjoy Hawaii is a land-based trip of no more than one island per week. So most people end up visiting just one or two islands, which is what I'd recommend.

If, however, you're already decided on the cruise, perhaps you could tell us what some of your excursion choices are? Volcanoes National Park on the Big Island is wonderful. So is the Napali Coast on Kauai. And Pearl Harbor on Oahu is a must. There's lots more, but it depends on the cruise line's offerings and which ones you're considering.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,321 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hawaii cruise excursions

For the record, I completely agree with BeacheeMe above - cruising is a terrible way to see Hawaii. I don't recommend it unless you have mobility problems or language problems. The freedom and flexibility you lose on a cruise is terrible - and you are a slave to their schedule. Way too much time on the ship.

That being said - if you have committed to a cruise ... this is what I think: 1) get a good travel guide that covers all the Islands. Most of us recommend "Hawaii for Dummies." Also get a good map. 2) pull up www.gohawaii.com. It's terribly commercial, but good for an overview. 3) go on the cruiseline website and look at the excursions they offer. Based on what you have read from your other sources ... what sounds good to you? What's in your budget? This is also an important step because it shows you what you can do in the timeframe you have in port.

We can type our little fingers off with ideas for you - randomly - but it is much better if you get a good overview and then come back to us with questions.

I don't like Cruise Critic at all. I love the idea of it - the concept - but they need some serious software replacements to make it less cumbersome and more user-friendly.

We have no problem helping you with your excursions - we do it all the time.

Edited: 12:38 pm, June 10, 2013
South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
2,383 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hawaii cruise excursions

If the booking is made and you are stuck with it, here are a couple of cruise reports where I think the people cruising really made the most of their time.

boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php… - kwbound

boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php… - SunnygirlAZ

I think it takes military precision, a lot of planning and hard work to make the most of a cruise. This is one reason why people are not keen on the concept - because Hawaii should be about getting on Island time, chilling, relaxing, going with the flow.

BLBL - They are using Vbulletin, which is one of the newer types of forum software available - it is also one of the ones that costs $$ to use. Most forum software is actually free (eg phpbb and SMF). What I think makes it seem so cumbersome is the theme and the fonts they are using. Plus the blue text which ages a website terribly, in my opinion!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,965 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hawaii cruise excursions

Cruise Critic is also owned by TA!! There is a cruise forum on TA but not well used.

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i10703-Cruises.…

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,321 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hawaii cruise excursions

<<Cruise Critic is also owned by TA!!>> Yep, that's why I have hope for it.

Actually, I posted on the TA cruise forum before discovering the TA Hawaii Forum. The folks on the Frommer's cruise forum had gotten rather mean and rude to each other, so I made the switch.

Runaway Bay...
Level Contributor
184 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hawaii cruise excursions

The question was what tours does everyone recommend not whether or not you think cruising is a good way to see Hawaii!

For the record I have done the cruise and loved it, we found it a fantastic way to get a little taste for the islands, some people enjoy to cruise. I have also stayed a number of weeks on the island as well which I also loved!! and whilst you do get to see more, get more of a feel etc I don't think knocking a persons holiday choice is fair.

As for a tour on Oahu my suggestion would be a private island tour with baud wake no private tours, where you can plan a day exploring what you would like, they are fantastic, they are happy to help you plan your day to get the most out of your time

You.will have such a lovely time!!

Runaway Bay...
Level Contributor
184 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hawaii cruise excursions

The question was what tours does everyone recommend not whether or not you think cruising is a good way to see Hawaii!

For the record I have done the cruise and loved it, we found it a fantastic way to get a little taste for the islands, some people enjoy to cruise. I have also stayed a number of weeks on the island as well which I also loved!! and whilst you do get to see more, get more of a feel etc I don't think knocking a persons holiday choice is fair.

As for a tour on Oahu my suggestion would be a private island tour with baud wake no private tours, where you can plan a day exploring what you would like, they are fantastic, they are happy to help you plan your day to get the most out of your time

You.will have such a lovely time!!

Buffalo, New York
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Hawaii cruise excursions

'thank you for your post. I booked a cruise simply because I didn't want the hassle of moving myself from island to island. This way I will get a taste of each to decide which one I want to return to. You mentioned baud wake no private tours on Oahu. Can you tell me more about this. I would love to book a private tour so I get the most in in the short time I have.

Thanks

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,784 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hawaii cruise excursions

Cindi, this thread is 10 months old. Suggest you start a new thread with your question about "baud wake no" tours. - However I googled baud wake no tours and got zero. So maybe you should just start a thread asking for private tour recommendations.

Good luck~~~~~~~~~~~