We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best transportation to and from the Aloha Stadium Swap Meet

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
16 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Best transportation to and from the Aloha Stadium Swap Meet

I was just curious if anyone had suggestions for the best way to get to the Aloha Stadium flea market?? Have never been there, but would like to check it out...thanks!!

42 replies to this topic
Colorado
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best transportation to and from the Aloha Stadium Swap Meet

TheBus #20 or #42 will go directly from Waikiki to PH and the on to Aloha Stadium. $2.50 one way. Go to www.TheBus.org for further details.

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best transportation to and from the Aloha Stadium Swap Meet

I would either rent a car or take the bus. A car rental would give you an option to do more than just the swap meet and the bus is only $2.50 each way.

South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
2,383 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best transportation to and from the Aloha Stadium Swap Meet

You can also head down to the concierge desk of your hotel and ask about other options - that is what we did last time and we ended up on a VIP shuttle bus which was pretty cheap and took us right there.

Our previous visit we went with Hawaii 23 - I probably would not do that again though, not for the swap meet, as there are other much cheaper options. Would certainly use them for the airport transfers though! :)

California
Level Contributor
573 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best transportation to and from the Aloha Stadium Swap Meet

You could try taking the bus, it will be your cheapest option. However, a few years ago we tried to get on the bus and found it to be full. Many locals take it. Since I didn't want to stand the entire way, we decided to take a shuttle. Check with your concierge.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,950 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best transportation to and from the Aloha Stadium Swap Meet

Keep in mind that you have SO many better shopping options on Waikiki and the surrounding area. The swap meet is HOT (for one thing) and not at all convenient. Lots of junk - "Hawaiian" souvenirs made in China and Southeast Asia. Be careful with quality, and I would not purchase edible goods (given the heat).

Oahu is a gorgeous Island with an amazing array of things to do and see. I would not waste my vacation at the swap meet.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,330 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best transportation to and from the Aloha Stadium Swap Meet

We took The Bus there, once, and disliked it so much we switched to the VIP Trans shuttle for the return trip. The Bus makes too many stops and as others mentioned, can be crowded. I've enjoyed the ride much more on the shuttle bus (which you can book, yourself or arrange at the concierge desk), for the slightly higher price. VIP Trans also has an airconditioned "Waiting Bus" that they park in the Swap Meet parking lot, so you have a cool place to sit while waiting for the next shuttle.

While I don't completely agree with BLBL on the swap meet being all junk, we have decided to skip it, this year. While there are some unique things to buy there (crack seed, really good marlin jerky, some really nice locally made items, etc), much of the swap meet can be found on Waikiki (though prices are definitely more expensive in Waikiki).

South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
2,383 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best transportation to and from the Aloha Stadium Swap Meet

(I need to say this and I apologise if it hurts anyones feelings because that is not my intention, but lately I have been feeling a lot of frustration because I am seeing so much negativity here on the forums about certain places.)

I totally disagree with BLBL on this - and apparently quite a few other things. I'm a great fan of BLBL - I know she is not a huge fan of me, but that will never change the fact that I am a fan of her. Both of us are fans of Oahu, and that is never going to change either, and we will need to find a way to co-exist here, because I'm not going anywhere, and I do not believe she is either.

The biggest thing we disagree on is, when someone asks a question - e.g. how to get somewhere, I do not make negative comments about or put down the place they want to go. I try to answer the actual question they have asked.

It gets enormously frustrating to sit here and see anyone constantly pouring negativity onto (much loved by tourists) destinations on Oahu. EG Ko Olina, Dole plantation, the international market place, Waikele, the swap meet, Chilis, the cheesecake factory, etc.

Whether you like these places yourself or not, you cannot deny these places are popular and tourists like and enjoy them.

It makes it 10 times worse that someone writing so much negativity is a DE, because unlike me sharing my own opinions, people tend to take what a DE says on board much more than the general forum member.

Re the swap meet - Yes, it is hot. Valid comment. Junk (and convenience) is in the eye of the beholder. Many of the food retailers have their perishables on ice. And re wasting their vacation, it is not like these people are flying in, going straight to the swap meet, and staying there for the duration of their vacation. They're going to be there 2-3 hours, max. If they get there and find it too hot or they don't like it, they can leave.

But none of that is actually relevant to this thread - all the OP asked was how to get there.

Nobody said everyone on this planet had to be exactly the same, or like the same things, or do the same things.

Aussies want to go to Waikele. They don't want to hear all the reasons they should not go. They have a question about how to get there, not about whether or not they should go. They want to know about food options on site - not be told there are none when there actually are.

If someone asks how to get to Dole, they are not looking to be told how much of a tourist trap it is. Chances are they are already well aware!

If someone has accommodation booked at Ko Olina, chances are they are actually somewhat excited about that, and they do not want someone to come in and pour a bucket of reasons why Ko Olina is not a good place to vacation over their heads. And there *is* stuff out there, and more things opening regularly, and many people who go to Ko Olina come back here and write how much they loved it.

It might be better to try to provide a little more info, maybe some links to a blog post or a trip report or if talking about a hotel more information on the building with photos they can look at, and then that person can make an educated guess on whether something might be for them or not..

As it is now, whenever I see someone asking a question about certain places, I cringe because I know what kind of negativity is going to eventually appear in that thread. :(

Anyway, I am putting this out there in the hope that maybe some more positivity on certain destinations can come to the Oahu forums as a surprise going forward. And if not, I'll have to suck it up and learn to live with it as much as I may not like it..

I promise to do my best to make sure that there is plenty of positivity to balance out the negatives. And my hope is, I will not be the only one here making that effort.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best transportation to and from the Aloha Stadium Swap Meet

I absolutely agree!!!! I Always go to local/Flea Markets whenever I travel. Just because YOU find it a waste of time doesn't mean everyone will. In fact, my research has shown me an artist who makes Hawaiian inspired outfits for dolls. As a doll collector, that would make the trip worthwhile to me by itself!!

Please just answer the question asked!!

Edited: 9:07 pm, July 08, 2013
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,950 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best transportation to and from the Aloha Stadium Swap Meet

Sorry, Motor City ... conscience dictates that I give you the best advice I can. I have been there, you have not. Not everyone agrees ... but all are welcome to express their opinions -hence "TripAdvisor."

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,191 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Best transportation to and from the Aloha Stadium Swap Meet

I also like the Swap Meet. They have the best selection & prices of souvenirs on the island.

It is best if you can combine it with a Pearl Harbor museums visit as it is only a few blocks away.

Reply to: Best transportation to and from the Aloha Stadium Swap Meet
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted