We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

20 hour layover in Honolulu.. what to do?

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Osaka, Japan
2 posts
Save Topic
20 hour layover in Honolulu.. what to do?

I will have a ~20 hour layover in Honolulu, arriving 12:30pm and leaving 8am the next day.. any tips from experienced travellers for optimizing my first time in Hawaii?

Tentatively planning on staying at a hostel in Waikiki very near the beach. What's the best of Waikiki I can see in this time? I am a mid-20's male. I've always wanted to try surfing.. I also don't mind staying up all night and sleeping on the next plane leg. Thanks!

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
1,106 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 20 hour layover in Honolulu.. what to do?

I would do exactly as you are thinking and head straight into Waikiki, grab lunch, then head to the beach. I don't know anything about the hostels or what time they let you check in, but see if you can leave your bags and just take what you need for the beach and head towards the Duke Statue at Kuhio Beach Park. I saw plenty of places in that area offering surfboard rentals and lessons, and if I recall they run about $80 or so for a two hour lesson. You might want to research here ahead of time for recommendations and times/reservations though since I'm not sure if they run all day, and you probably won't end up getting down there until 2:00 or so. In the evening I would walk around and check out the shops and atmosphere in the busier part of Waikiki- along Kalakaua from the Outrigger Waikiki to Lewers. Stop in Duke's Canoe Club, but be prepared for a crowd. Check out Rumfire at the Sheraton, they serve tapas and have a hip "clubby" vibe with well dressed 20 somethings and pulsating music. There's also Moose McGillicuddy's on Lewers with live music and dancing. If you're on a budget look for happy (aloha) hour specials and coupons for Moose's and a few others in the hand out brochures when you arrive. You'll have to head to the airport pretty early the next day (I'm not one to skip sleep for partying!) so you might want to pre-arrange a shuttle or check where you're staying to make sure you'll be able to grab a taxi easily that early in the morning. Have fun:)

Seattle
Level Contributor
41,943 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 20 hour layover in Honolulu.. what to do?

What you describe would definitely work. I've never stayed there but seen one of the hostels that VERY close to the beach and it looks fine. Surfing lessons are right there, but you'd need to get on that immediately upon arrival (since most of your time is going to be overnight). Just depends what you want to do with your time, certainly you can go clubbing and to restaurants. But you could also just hang out around town, eat on the cheap at one of the food courts, walk around the central area. Streets are alive in Waikiki at pretty much all-hours. You might want to get a couple hours of sleep in there somewhere. You'll need to head back to the airport by 5:30 or 6:00am latest for your next flight.

If you are traveling with only a small amount of luggage, then you can use The Bus (public transportation ) to get from and back to the airport for only $2.50 (instead of $12 for a shuttle or $35-40 for a taxi).

suze

California
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 20 hour layover in Honolulu.. what to do?

Your plan is already solid: Stay in Waikiki and enjoy the area.

Hit the beach

Eat

Go to a bar

Walk around

Enjoy the street performers

A surf lesson is a possibility, but as I know many of them are early in the morning, you should research now to see whether you could catch a lesson at, say, 3:30 or 4 p.m. on you arrival day. That's the only time you have.

Really, though, you don't have to figure out how to fill your time. Just hanging out in Waikiki is plenty entertaining enough for a day!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
114 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 20 hour layover in Honolulu.. what to do?

I doubt you will have enough time to take surfing lessons, but surf boards are readily available for rental on Waikiki Beach near the Outrigger Surf Hotel. Your hostel is two block from the beach in the heart of Waikiki. Since your time is very limited I'd just enjoy the beach and cruising around and people watching. Everything you need to see and do is right up and down Kalakua Avenue. Dukes is a great restaurant & bar right on Waikiki Beach. I'm sure the staff at the Hostel will be more then happy to give you recommendation on bar/clubs within the area.

Seattle
Level Contributor
41,943 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 20 hour layover in Honolulu.. what to do?

Can't you take a surf lesson in the afternoon?

Osaka, Japan
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 20 hour layover in Honolulu.. what to do?

Thanks for the great feedback!

It looks like I will definitely forgo sightseeing the rest of Oahu due to the time limit, and just soak up as much Waikiki as I can. A lot of the surf places I have checked online have lessons at 1:30 and 3pm, hopefully I should be able to make 3pm comfortably by taking a shuttle and staying at a hostel near the beach/surf. After that, I will probably just wander around and check out some of the eats suggested. Hopefully the hostel is sociable enough I can wrangle a few others to join me for the evening. Thanks again!

7. Re: 20 hour layover in Honolulu.. what to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, May 17, 2014