We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Distance

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
canada
Level Contributor
168 posts
Save Topic
Distance

We are staying at the illkai condos and I am wondering how far a walk it is up to Waikiki where the main touristy things are or should we drive as we will have a car.We would like to take in the Legends show as well as the Magic of Polynesia. Is there free parking at these places or somewhere there is.? Or how long to walk? Thanks for your help.

California
Level Contributor
573 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Distance

Depends on how fast you walk. I could walk it in less than 10 minutes (estimate) I think it would be silly to drive a car, especially with the Waikiki parking problems. The city bus stops right near there.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,885 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Distance

You sure don't want to drive. it is 1 mile from the Ilikai to the heart of Waikiki.

http://goo.gl/maps/Ciglx

If you don't want to walk it The Bus goes by in front.

Lagrangeville, NY
Level Contributor
2,796 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Distance

As Scott pointed out, from Ilikai to either the Legends (in Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center building B) or Magic of Polynesia (in Holiday Inn Waikiki Beachcomber) is about 1 mile (1.6 km).

It could be an easy stroll. Typically a person walks about 20 minutes per mile, but estimate 30 minutes if you are strolling.

Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center has a small fee for validated parking. But call both shows to find out whether there is validated parking and the fees to be sure.

IMO it is more hassle to drive since there are many one way streets in Waikiki and lots of traffic. I wouldn't take the bus because I have no patience waiting for the bus. I'd rather walk it or take a taxi ride if I'm in heels.

California
Level Contributor
573 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Distance

I should of mentioned that I'm an avid walker, but there are lots of stop lights etc. which will lengthen your walking time, but Yung4fr's 20 minute estimate is more the norm. Nevertheless, it's not that far.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
16,338 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Distance

The only issue I find when staying in that area is going TO dinner. It can be really hot just before sunset and being dressed up, wearing make-up, and attempting nice shoes don't make for a pleasant walk for the ladies! If it's an issue, simply take the bus into the heart of Waikiki. After dinner, when it's dark, the walk back is nice.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
425 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Distance

15 minutes and I'd leave the high heels at home :) we saw lots of ladies struggle this past week. Fancy sandals will do

7. Re: Distance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, May 04, 2014